Marked gear

Original Post
Lewis H · · rapid city, SD · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 5

Im pretty new to climbing and haven't marked my gear like ('biners mostly) and was curious on how others do it. Should I use tape or nail polish. Which is better? Is nail polish bad for your gear? Just anything like this would be helpful!

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 253

People use both. Tape has a tendency to leave sticky residue, and presents a potential for micro-litter when it comes off at the crag.

Nail polish won't harm your hard goods (metal parts), but it's probably prudent to keep it away from soft goods (slings and ropes).

I personally used epoxy to mark mine. Loc-tite marine-grade epoxy cures white, and is super-durable. You can add pigments to get any color you want.

awolf · · New York, NY · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 5

I pick a lot of tape while climbing so not only is this litter, it also isn't an effective method for the long run. Go with nail polish

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,740

I imagine it would be safe to put nail polish on the TAGS of your slings.

Andrew Krajnik wrote:

People use both. Tape has a tendency to leave sticky residue, and presents a potential for micro-litter when it comes off at the crag.

Nail polish won't harm your hard goods (metal parts), but it's probably prudent to keep it away from soft goods (slings and ropes).

I personally used epoxy to mark mine. Loc-tite marine-grade epoxy cures white, and is super-durable. You can add pigments to get any color you want.

I'm only using it on metal so I'll probably just use nail polish. The epoxy seems like a good idea though

David Kerkeslager · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 45

The problem people are having with tape coming off is most likely because they using tape unsuited for the situation. I've used gaff tape on all sorts of outdoor gear for years and when I've sold stuff I've had to scrape the tape off with a knife. Remember that the tape sticks best to itself, so when in doubt, wrap it. Most gaff tape only comes in black, though, so you'll have to search the internet for colors.

Masking tape, electric tape, scotch tape, duct tape, medical tape, climbing tape, handlebar tape, etc. all have problems. A reflective tape intended for bikes or automotive applications seems like it might have a proper adhesive, but I can't speak from experience on that.

Adam Fleming · · Moab, Utah · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 303
Gunkiemike wrote:

I imagine it would be safe to put nail polish on the TAGS of your slings.

That's how I do it.  
Slings get polish on the tags.  Biners get some on the spine or near the gate (pick the area most protected from abrasion).  Cams get it on the BD logo and size indicator along the stem.  My cord and nuts have gaffers tape the same colors as my nail polish.  Use two colors so you're less likely to have the same as a partner. 

Nate Doyle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10

Thanks for the input everyone!

r m · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

Beal rope marker stays on pretty well. It does apparently reduce the strength of rope, so i don't put it on structural fabric parts. No idea how to ever get it off anything.

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 200

Paint Pens

Moof · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 25

Still using the same pint can of engine paint I bought from Canadian Tire when I was in Squamish in 2003.  Wears well and I just bad it on with a Q-tip.  I do keep it away from anything non-metal.  Best to mark spots that are semi-protected to assure years and years of visibility.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply