Closed

Original Post
Andrew Van · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Objective met, closing this 

davedad · · Carbondale, CO · Joined May 2009 · Points: 0

Heartbreaking. Sorry this happened. Where was it stolen? Certainly keep an eye out on Craig's List in whatever state it is in. Climbing is hard enough- no need to risk bad karma. Hope the thief thinks twice next time. Hang in there.

Jaren Watson · · Boise, Idaho · Joined May 2010 · Points: 1,195

Hi Andrew,

Would you mind giving us some specifics about the theft? Where and when did this happen? What was taken? I'm willing to make a donation, but not without additional info.

I'm not saying you're trying to scam the community, but the details are rather vague and, by themselves, sound pretty fishy.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 15
Jaren Watson wrote:I'm not saying you're trying to scam the community, but the details are rather vague and, by themselves, sound pretty fishy.

Agree. And just signed up for Mountain Project today. More info needed. Which police department has the report of the theft?

Matt Lisenby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 555

check whether Jenn has renters or homeowners insurance.  Either of these should cover theft from vehicle.  

DevinLane · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 0

No meaningful follow up on specifics.This definitely seems off.  Best of luck if true, but can't get behind supporting this approach. 

Idaho Ian · · Pocatello, ID · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 0

IF it's less than her deductible, you shouldn't have a problem replacing it. Sounds like a fishing attempt for some cash, seeing how you didn't give us enough details on the items that anyone could actually look out for them and return them if found.  

ViperScale · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 165

Nothing personal but this sounds like a scam post to get money.

jdereks · · Minnesota · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 30
Andrew Van wrote:

The climbing gear was the big ticket item. The bag contained her helmet, harness, shoes, and a few other things. 

Sorry this happened to your friend, but unless the "few other things" was a double rack this shouldn't be too difficult to replace over a reasonable amount of time.

GTS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 0

He made the same post on Supertopo. GoFundMe should be for real emergencies, not replacing a couple of hundred dollars of sports equipment. If you really like Jenn, and this really happened, then step up and replace the gear yourself.

Andrew Van · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Pretty much accomplished what I set out to do, thanks for the constructive criticism, hope to see some of you out there

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply