New to Malibu Creek and climbing

Original Post
Tabitha Deptula · · Burbank · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 5

Hi. Willing to trade belays or sandwiches for a partner. I can go early mornings. 

I'm not super experienced. I have toproped and lead in gym before and once outside. Looking to get more advanced asap. I range in the 5.10 area.

I should note that I have no idea how to set up an anchor/toprope and would like to learn that as well. 

Thanks ya'll

Flint Moon · · Thousand Oaks, CA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 3

Hey, I usually go down there a couple mornings a week and climb. If you want to get together just shoot me a PM.

Flint

Awesome. I'll get back to you as soon as I know what my schedule is like this week.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 105

Tabitha ......   The Apes Wall almost always has people running TR's.... I find the locals to be pretty cool and after I check out the belay habits I just ask if I can have "a run" ....

only turned down a few times.

Be very honest about your skillz and experience. 

Welcome to Climbing 

Walter Cifuentes · · Van Nuys, CA · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

Tabitha and Flint. I live in Van Nuys and looking for some climbing partners. Mind if I join up? Climbing 5.10 and can lead. Learning trad.

yosem1te · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 15

I'm gonna jump in on this too, I'm new to the area and looking to get out of the gym more. I've a rope and draws and happy to climb and belay anyone. Let me know if anyone wants to go to Malibu creek soon!

Rob M · · Shangri-LA · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 0
Guy Keesee wrote:"Be very honest about your skillz and experience.

Welcome to Climbing "

What Guy said is very important.  5.10 in gym often means a grade, or two, lower outside.  Stay in your comfort zone.  Malibu has bolted anchors or shuts, so you can put in opposing quickdraws to TR off of.  Malibu can be pumpy too due to its nature.  Planet of the Apes will be freaking hot.  TR there early then go back to Stumbling Blocks / Mt. Gorgeous.

Don't fall in the creek on the traverse.

Thanks!

Very true about the grades. I went to Dume today and did ok I think thanks to a good teacher I found on this community. Super grateful to meet everyone here. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply