Favorite Multi-Day Pack

Original Post
DEF · · Boston, MA · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 5

You're spending 3-4 days in the backcountry to go climb (10-20 mile hike in).  Assume you'll have a small summit pack and don't need to climb with this thing.. what's your go to pack in the 50-65l range?  I currently have an Osprey Atmos 65 (maybe 5 years old) and the waistbelt always starts to cut into me on long approaches, looking for something new for an upcoming trip.

Assume the basics of food, small tent, sleep setup, minimal extra clothing, rope and half a rack.

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 50

I recently got a Mammut Trion Pro 50+7, and love it. It's a 50L pack, but the upper "brain" area expands another 7 liters if you need the extra space. The back panel (between the shoulder straps) has a huge "U" zipper that opens up the whole panel for easy access to stuff in the bottom of pack. It also give you the option to fasten a butterfly-coiled rope draped over the top/sides of the pack , so your cord doesn't take up interior space.

Mike Womack · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 1,297

Gregory seems to be the best for me.  Their Baltoro pack is awesome and comes in 65L and 75L

ClimbingOn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 0

For 3-4 days, 55l is about perfect. I'm absolutely a Gregory person - their packs just fit me (while Osprey packs do not fit me at all). I would recommend going to a store that has a good selection of packs and putting weight in them and hiking all around the store. REI is usually good for this. Also, get measured so you know if you are a S, M, or L frame.

Stay away from the Baltoro pack. While it is comfortable, it is quite heavy. I'm not sure what their current model name is, but the Z55 or Z65 are excellent choices.

Kevin · · California · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 0

My McHale.

If I don't need so much space (it's summer!), fit it into my CCW Ozone.

If I'll need skis or pointy objects, either my CCW Valdez or HMG Ice Pack.

Ian Machen · · Reno, NV · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 20

Mystery Ranch Big Mountain. 

Chris Dunn 510 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0
Mike Womack wrote:

Gregory seems to be the best for me.  Their Baltoro pack is awesome and comes in 65L and 75L

+1

andrew.reed · · Manitou Springs, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 15

+1 for the Gregory Z55

edelweiss · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Check Hyperlite Mountain Gear . Sturdy, comfortable, waterproof. Can attach skis on the side. Weight at 70l is about 2 lbs. A bit pricey though and they only make them in white color. But even dirty the pack looks good. I've had one for 3 years now and don't have any complaints.

DEF · · Boston, MA · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 5

Appreciate the feedback so far.. I was looking at checking out a Gregory pack, clean looks and solid reviews.  HMG packs look great but a little outside what  I'm looking to spend right now!

Sean H · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 80

Black Diamond Mission 75. Barely much weight difference from the 55 so I don't see the point in buying the smaller size, it cinches down just fine.

My original pack for that sorta thing was a Cilogear 60L worksack that served me well until a roommate's dog decided it needed to have some used Gu Packets I left in it and marmoted its way through.

Really like the BD pack better. Was a great pack in the 'Bugs. Crampon pouch is great, doesn't have 5000 straps hanging off of it (I mean it has some, but I think they're useful and its fairly streamlined.) Carries very well, comfortable - nice opening systems, separate compartments in the brain work well, etc.

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/climbing-packs/mission-75-pack-BD681185_cfg.html

I also had no problem fitting a 5 gallon painters bucket in it for stashing a rack at one point, so thumbs up for that.

ChrisMurphy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

Arc'Teryx Bora 65, it's the best backpacking pack I've ever owned

Kyle Elliott · · Everett, WA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 360

+1 for the Mammut Trion. I have the Guide 45+7 which I originally thought might be too small, but it works perfectly for my needs. it has multiple attachments, and spots for ice axes, trekking poles, and rope and is pretty close to waterproof. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply