Mt. Evans route help

Original Post
Craghead · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 65

Anyone know the name of the route in the pics below. In the vicinity of Snonkmaiden's Surprise and Mt. Evans Micro Goulette but I am not positive of the exact route. Water ice crux was about WI3 or so under a big chockstone. It may have only been about 10 ft. wide in the gully and is the rightmost gully in the second
picture.

Taylor-B. · · Valdez, AK · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 3,060

We climbed that route in 2010/11(?) when there was the frenzy of FAs going on up there. We didn't name it, nor did we claim it as an FA. I recall in the fall that it went at about WI3 M3 for 2-3 pitches.  Your picture is wild seeing how buried the crux pitch is! Such a cool area with easy access and amazing climbing:)    

Thanks Taylor. There are so many couloirs up there in such a small area that it's hard to identify the right one sometimes. Your rating seems spot on. There were some easy mixed sections and a lot of snow climbing. Had a great day. This was the only obvious water ice that I could spot from the approach.

Would anyone have issue with me adding this route to the MP database? If you were the FA, I will gladly include a proper name and rating.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply