Mountain Project Logo

Wild Iris vs. Ten Sleep

Original Post
Devin Dunn · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 0

Hi Wyomingians, I'm interested in heading to your state in a couple weeks and I am wondering which is a less busy climbing zone Wild Iris or Ten Sleep? Also is there still snow in either location? 

Thank you 

grog m aka Greg McKee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70
Wilburn · · Cheyenne, WY · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 350

Beating the crowds may be easier at Wild Iris, but only because there are fewer established climbs compared to Ten Sleep. As for snow, the road has been cleared but there is still snow along the road and in the trees. There isn't much snow along the main wall of the Wild Iris. No clue about OK Corral and campsite areas. 

Name · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 25

Can you drive down campsite road and camp or too much snow? Somewhat confused by "100% snow free but 2 more weeks till snow is gone from campsites."

Craig Quincy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2001 · Points: 305

After many years of going to Wild Iris, I finally went to Ten Sleep recently.  It's like 10 Wild Irises.  They are both worthy destinations. You can't go wrong and there are enough climbs at either place, that crowds wouldn't be a deal break.  The climbs at Ten Sleep are longer in general.  There is also great fly fishing in Ten Sleep Canyon if that's a consideration.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply