Looking for bolting instruction, live near SLC

Original Post
MalcolmS · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 50

I'm interested in learning how to place bolts, specifically glue-ins.  Is there anyone in the greater Salt Lake area who'd be willing to help me learn?  I'm not interested in bolting routes or messing up anything established.  I just have a need for a permanent anchor in a very remote place.  After reading up on it as much as I can, I've gathered enough to know that it's not wise to just go out and try without instruction.

Thanks!

Malcolm

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,500

Check with the local climbing coalition. I'm under the impression that Salt Lake has a pretty active one who can point you in the right direction for mentorship and whether the it is legal to bolt I'm the place you want to put an anchor. 

Ty Gregory · · Salt Lake City · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 0

Its easy, buy a bolt at the climbing store, drill a hole, blow the dust out, hammer the bolt into the hole, grab a wrench and cinch down the bolt.  Screw glue-ins, thats messy

BOLT THE WORLD SUCKAS!

MalcolmS · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 50

John- Thanks I hadn't thought of that. http://www.saltlakeclimbers.org/ seems to be on the money.

Ty- haha I wish it were that easy :)  I'm anticipating sandstone, so... glue-in it shall be.

Still interested in replies, if anyone on here can teach. Thanks in advance!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply