Mountain Project Logo

Any dirtbags nearby?

Original Post
Celena H · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 5

Hi all, 

I'm on a dirtbag tour of the US and just got up to Washington (near Seattle).  I was wondering if there are any dirtbag communities or good places to make 'basecamp'.  I'll be here for a few months since I'll also be working nearby.  Any suggestions welcomed!

Thatcher · · Seattle, WA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 5

Parking lot of seattle bouldering project has a lot of dirtbag vans parked there all the time. That might be a good place to start. 

Dan Cooksey · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

I would head east.  You can hangout near gold bar and index all summer if you want.  Plenty of places to park a van and hang.  If you get bored with that head over the pass to Leavenworth, same deal and you will meet others doing the same.  If you want to hang near Seattle, if you take 90 East to exit 38, hang a right and follow the road about a half mile, there is a pullout you can crash in for a few days and shouldn't be bothered.  Lots of easily accessible sport in the area.

I second the SBP inquiry, I don't know the deal with those vans but I see them every time I go to the gym. 

If this is your 1st time in the PNW you really should venture up to Squamish.

kyle.hornor · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 20

Come to Leavenworth! Good community up the icicle!

@kyle.hornor 

Details/tips? Just so I know what to look for - haven't been there yet.

@Dan.Cooksy

I've heard a lot about Squamish and plan to go out there once I've renewed my passport!  Details on Gold Bar? I see Index has some details on camping

kyle.hornor · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 20
  1. There is a good free camp site where most climbers congregate up icicle creek road. Go up the icicle, turn for Stuart lake th, take first left past bridge creek campground.  It's hard to get a spot on the weekends but weekdays are great.  You'll link up with people.  I'm in a transit connect with a thule, come say hi!
Paul Goodrich · · Bellingham, WA · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Hey Celena and Tom, I'll be out in Leavenworth area for July/August  in my blue honda element!  will be sure to check out Icicle

hit me up when you're out there  248 238 6996 

Also, any one know of good pull outs on the Mountain Loop Highway? 

Celena H wrote:

@kyle.hornor 

Details/tips? Just so I know what to look for - haven't been there yet.

@Dan.Cooksy

I've heard a lot about Squamish and plan to go out there once I've renewed my passport!  Details on Gold Bar? I see Index has some details on camping

I talked to ranger out there about 3 weeks ago and he said he is the only one patrolling from highway 2 to Canada, and as long as you aren't pitching a tent, leaving trash or making a fire, feel free to sleep your car on Reiter rd.  I understand the closer you get to Index though it can become an issue for the residents, so try to respect that if the pullout below the lower town wall is full.

Thanks for the tips, guys! Ended up at Forest Land - was able to camp in the car there.  Looks like that is a really popular spot but the ranger who stopped by said that they are going to become more strict up there.  Apparently there has been vandalism around the parking lot. Will have to check out the free campground near Bridge Creek CG and Index when I stop in the area.

Mike Brady · · Van Diesel, OR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 681

There are numerous posted sign stated "NO CAMPING" in the Forestland parking lot. There are a plethora of cool spots in Icicle......please don't add to the shit show that is Forestland. I get that it is where all the cool kids go to hangout and act like they are in Camp 4 but eventually it will lead to issues, especially when people are yard saling all their cool climbing gear.  Im sure plenty of people will have some BS justifications for not adhering to this simple request but we are a pretty visible user group and it would suck to be a part of any issues that would tarnish an otherwise pretty solid relationship.

On a similar note Squamish is not very "Dbag" friendly, especially this year as they are going to be cracking down pretty hard on the Grand area. Kids will have to go play climber somewhere else I suppose.....maybe the Wal-Mart parking lot....oh wait thats not allowed anymore because people abused it as usual.

As stated above Bridge Creek is a cool spot. It is nice and shaded, free, near some really cool bouldering and hiking.

The free RV lot is cool too although it can be heinous when it gets hot. (forget the milage but it is something like 15 miles up canyon from the gas station)

There is a sick little roundabout spot. I forget the mileage but just drive up canyon and it will be on the left side with a small dirt road that goes out and around a small crag. Unlikely to snag this unless you are there midweek.

In a pinch the parking for Mad Meadows works but it is roadside and exposed. 

Mike Brady wrote:

There are numerous posted sign stated "NO CAMPING" in the Forestland parking lot. There are a plethora of cool spots in Icicle......please don't add to the shit show that is Forestland. I get that it is where all the cool kids go to hangout and act like they are in Camp 4 but eventually it will lead to issues, especially when people are yard saling all their cool climbing gear.  Im sure plenty of people will have some BS justifications for not adhering to this simple request but we are a pretty visible user group and it would suck to be a part of any issues that would tarnish an otherwise pretty solid relationship.

On a similar note Squamish is not very "Dbag" friendly, especially this year as they are going to be cracking down pretty hard on the Grand area. Kids will have to go play climber somewhere else I suppose.....maybe the Wal-Mart parking lot....oh wait thats not allowed anymore because people abused it as usual.

As stated above Bridge Creek is a cool spot. It is nice and shaded, free, near some really cool bouldering and hiking.

The free RV lot is cool too although it can be heinous when it gets hot. (forget the milage but it is something like 15 miles up canyon from the gas station)

There is a sick little roundabout spot. I forget the mileage but just drive up canyon and it will be on the left side with a small dirt road that goes out and around a small crag. Unlikely to snag this unless you are there midweek.

In a pinch the parking for Mad Meadows works but it is roadside and exposed. 

I stayed at that round about once but some dude came through in a pick up and was angry I was parked there.  He had plenty of room but made a big deal.  I waved politely and asked if he needed me to move.  He gave me the finger, passed my van and sprayed me with black diesel exhaust lol. 

Dan Cooksey wrote:

I stayed at that round about once but some dude came through in a pick up and was angry I was parked there.  He had plenty of room but made a big deal.  I waved politely and asked if he needed me to move.  He gave me the finger, passed my van and sprayed me with black diesel exhaust lol. 

It is a pretty cherry spot! that was a dick move though, it is first come first served after all.

@Mike thanks for the feedback and more tips.  Definitely wasn't trying to cause trouble up at Forestland or promote anyone else cause trouble up there.  It worked for the night I was in that spot and definitely wouldn't want to be a part of a community that puts stress on the good relationship with the rangers.  Like I said before, will be checking out the free campgrounds and suggest others do there part in keeping things even keel in the community!

Celena H wrote:

@Mike thanks for the feedback and more tips.  Definitely wasn't trying to cause trouble up at Forestland or promote anyone else cause trouble up there.  It worked for the night I was in that spot and definitely wouldn't want to be a part of a community that puts stress on the good relationship with the rangers.  Like I said before, will be checking out the free campgrounds and suggest others do there part in keeping things even keel in the community!

No worries dude. It works for a lot of people and on some levels I think the rangers turn a blind eye because they understand that there are limited camping spots. I personally just don't want to add to any unnecassary friction or add to any future complaints towards our community and I just try to inform people that it is in fact against the rules to camp there.  Some of the people that stay up there treat it as there own personal campground which can't be good for relations.  I appreciate the fact that it matters to you as well.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply