Mountain Project Logo

Wanted: First set of climbing shoes (size 9)

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Original Post
Doug Mellon · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Girlfriend and I just got into bouldering. Looking to get a pair of used climbing shoes as I can't afford a new pair. Size 9. 

tobashiya · · detroit, michigan · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 15

Fwiw, 

Starting off with fresh shoes and sharp edges is advised.   If you're going secondhand, familiarize yourself with resole vendors.

I'd push a fresh pair to you,  but not your size

Best of luck

tobashiya wrote:

Fwiw, 

Starting off with fresh shoes and sharp edges is advised.   If you're going secondhand, familiarize yourself with resole vendors.

I'd push a fresh pair to you,  but not your size

Best of luck

Oh okay. Thanks a lot for the insight. I'll see if I can find some cheap. 

badcarp · · Ooltewah, TN · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 15

I have a pair of Evolve Defy's. Size 42. I think one may have a blown toe, not sure. Let me know if you'd be interested. Different brands/styles fit differently. I would try on some new pairs to get a feel for your size.

I'm defy, 43.  A few pairs with blown toes also.

Jonathan Shepherd · · Roslindale · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Hey dude, I've got a pair of size 9 La Sportiva Venom slippers that I got used, but I've got narrow low volume feet and they're too baggy for me.  They're definitely used, toe on right

shoe is pretty blown and they're gonna need a resole soon but if you want em PM me and we can work something out.

Mark Hammond · · Eldorado Springs, CO · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 220

PM sent.

Thanks everyone for your responses. How hard is it to get a shoe resoled? Sorry, really new to all of this. I will see if my local gym has a pair of Defys I can try on and will get back to you. 

Mark, I don't think the PM came through. 

djh860 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 110

Good idea.  Used shoes are the way to go.  Id get la sportiva tarantulas and go down a whole size from your street shoe

Doug Mellon wrote:

Thanks everyone for your responses. How hard is it to get a shoe resoled? Sorry, really new to all of this. I will see if my local gym has a pair of Defys I can try on and will get back to you. 

Mark, I don't think the PM came through. 

You mail the shoes to the vendor, they resole and mail back.  I've always used Yosemite bum, they a branch of evolv and do excellent work

Bill Czajkowski · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 30

Go to REI (or somewhere) and try some on and write down the shoe and size. There's even differences in the same brand. Then find a used pair that will work.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply