Mountain Project Logo

Castle Rock State Park - Sunday Conditions?

Original Post
Glenn Sweeney · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Anyone live near Castle Rock and can weigh in on rock condition for climbing this Sunday? The weather showed that there may (or may not) have been some light rain on Thursday; I don't want to drive down there just to find out that the rock is still wet and fragile and not suitable for climbing 2.5 days later. Thanks a lot!

Mylissa · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 20

We were planning on going today but opted to stay away because we were still getting rain in San Jose Friday morning. If it helps, we didn't get more than an inch out here. Closer to Castle Rock, in the mountains, it sounds like they got about a half inch. Supposed to be sunny all day tomorrow up there. 

Clint Cummins · · Palo Alto, CA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 725

The normal waiting period for the fine grained sandstone at Castle Rock to avoid breaking off holds is 3 days after rain.

So that would be around Monday at noon.

Glenn Sweeney · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Mylissa, thanks for the update. We'll be holding off for the weekend as well.

Clint, understood - just wasn't sure if the park saw rain or not. 

Thanks all!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Castle Rock State Park - Sunday Conditions?"
in the Northern California

Log In to Reply