Mountain Project Logo

New to Prescott

Original Post
sgreen Verde · · salt lake city, ut · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 10

Hey all,

I am a climber who is moving to the Prescott area from SLC for a new job.  I have been in the area poking around, checking out the boulders, and meeting a few folks who have been really nice and helpful in pointing out and describing lines. I will be living there full-time beginning in July and am trying to get my hands on info for climbing in the area and also meet some new partners.  I would love to get my hands on a copy of the Cramer guidebook if anybody has info on a good way to do that. I am aware of the new Granite Dells guide, although I haven't picked it up yet. Im really psyched on living in the area and all of the climbing and will definitely be psyched to get outside as my work schedule will be favorable to having many days off a month. Feel free to PM me or hit me up here if you can help with info for the area or if you want to get out and climb. 

sgreen Verde · · salt lake city, ut · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 10

Bump. For reals. Somebody give up the info. 

perropirana Santibanez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 25

Hey bro! I moved here from SLC too. Granite will be open soon.

let me know if you want to get out

cheers,

L

chris murphy · · Centennial Co · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 20

sgreen Verde

I lived and climbed in prescott for around 8 years, its amazing. One of my favorite areas in the states, so you have Granite mountain, Thumb Butte, The "dells", Groom Creek, Promised Land and many others, Granite mountain does have seasonal closing but i think the swamp slabs are not included FEB-JUL Thumb Butte also has some closures I believe. My  oppion of the dells is its cool to look at but really the rock is quite terrible, but ive also been one of the many of my friends that have pulled a bolt out from the wall by hand. there has been some bolt replacement by a friend but im not sure of everything he has done. Groom creek holds amazing granite bouldering some of my favorite for the state. If you like sport my  favorite place was the promised land out in chino on Perkinsville road past the meat butcher. Its much better then dells and the rock is very interesting. Go to Granite mountain outfitters and talk to mike, he will get you the guides you need and if you can find kayle hes a good dude to know in the climbing community out there. Let me know if you would like anymore info. 

Chris 

Greg Opland · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 167

Granite mountain does have seasonal closing but i think the swamp slabs are not included FEB-JUL

This is incorrect. The entire span of Granite Mountain is closed from Feb 1st to July 15th.

I've been climbing there almost 30 years and that has always been true since they implemented the closure (minus the one single year when they actually opened it up to climbing in the spring, around mid-90's or so). As always, there are climbers working to change this complete closure, but anyone disregarding it and climbing whenever they want are not helping that effort.

Yup!

kdionise · · Arizona · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 15

I live in Prescott most the year excluding summer. I'll be back in town August 28. Always looking for people to climb with. I will be looking to spend most my fall on the mountain. Feel free to PM me if you are interested and we can swap numbers.

Keith

CJD · · Chino Valley, AZ · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 35

Keith,

I swear I'll climb with you someday when you return. I managed to jack up my wrist early in the summer so I'm still not climbing. Chris D

Jarrod Webb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Well. I live here and I climb a lot. Happy to answer questions anytime 

Maxwell Kincaid · · Sedona, Arizona · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 70

I'm looking for someone to join me in OW and also looking for any suggestions for OW routes. I promise a blood sacrifice will follow in your honor.  Oh and who's got that 5.11 on the middle form of Granite Mountain on their list? 

Jake Gluck · · Prescott, AZ · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 20

I'm moving to Prescott at the end of the month. Let me know whenever any of you want to climb. Have a rack and a 70 meter. I'll also be in Prescott tomorrow and Thursday if anyone wants to climb then. Call or text 860-705-3376. 

Anyone climbing this Sunday?

Ryan Burrows · · Prescott valley, az · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Just moved here also, been doing some top rope solo in the dells but I'd like to find some people to climb with.  I may be able to climb this weekend.

chris murphy · · Centennial Co · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 20

I'll be down next weekend, trying to get up to groom. will post if im in the area 

Ryan Burrows · · Prescott valley, az · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Next weekend I'm working but let me know if your around again!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply