Injury Survey to help out Physical Therapy Students with research.

Original Post
Frank Rizzo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

Greetings everyone!

My name is Matt and I'm finishing up my Doctor of Physical Therapy degree in Colorado. Myself and two other classmates are completing an independent study looking at climbing injuries, and how we as PTs can help climbers in the future. We've created a short survey to find out what common injuries are in the climbing community. If you wouldn't mind, we would love it if you shared your experiences with us by clicking on the link below and filled out our survey. It should only take about 3-5 minutes to fill out, and would help us out tremendously. Thank you to all that choose to fill it out, and we wish you happy and healthy climbing!

http://climbingsurvey.strikingly.com/

Sincerely,

Matt DeStefano

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, California · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 95

I took, the survey, but I can't see how this could be the basis for any doctorate thesis.  I have been injured many times, sometimes minor, sometimes major(ish).  My last injury was a fall resulting in 3 broken bones in my foot.  My PT made me see an orthopedist before she would treat me, but I still waited a month before I looked for any medical treatment.  I knew that there was nothing that could really be done for the injury, so I self treated for a while until I was ready to try and regain mobility, which is why I went to my PT first (been seeign her for years).  For other injuries, I either self treat (contusions...), go to my PT (soft tissue injuries...), or go to my doc (more concerning issues).

Your questions do not allow for a range of answers, or answers depending on the type of injury.  You should limit the question to the most recent injury, or the most severe injury, or the injury that triggered medical attention...

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 0

climbing friend,

the study it is flawed, as it does not consider the assumption that upward 90% of all "climbing" injury they are actually relate to over-masturbation.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 105

What Matt says.....     the big injuries are treated by Doctors....  the small ones, sprained ankles, finger-hand ones and scrapes, cuts etc.... one skips the doctors.

climberish · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

I agree with the other comments thus far. There are a wide variety of climbing injuries ranging from the usual overuse/overtraining injuries focused around fingers, elbows, and shoulders... while on the other end of the spectrum are the serious trauma (multiple broken bones) injuries usually relating to a big fall whether that is from highball bouldering, sketchy/thin trad climbing, runout "sport rigs" or plain old decking/rappeling accidents. 

More and more the overuse/overtraining injuries are self-treated as the number/quality of articles have been increasing online about how to prevent or rehab those injuries with professional help, otherwise many climbers tend to seek out a PT to help with that. The more serious trauma related injuries (depending on the severity) tend to be treated at hospitals...

So the point of your survey is not apparent, nor from the questions side, do they seem useful at all.

Frank Rizzo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

Thanks for all of your responses. I wanted to target a few of your inquiries. In short, this survey was NOT part of a Doctoral Thesis, so you are correct in your thinking that it is not comprehensive enough. It was simply a way for us to get an idea of some of the common injuries that people sustain while climbing. The injuries like broken bones, falls from rappelling, etc. weren't the main target of our survey because those accidents are usually treated by an MD or Emergency room first, and not the bread and butter of a PT's intervention. To Matt's point of the answers not offering a range to choose from, there were short answer lines to give an open-ended response to elaborate on any injuries you've had. My classmate then took all the responses and filtered through to find the most commons ones.

Thank you all for your help with this project, and I'm sorry if any of it was not clear enough for you. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Matt

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply