Helmet replacement question

Original Post
t.farrell · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

First time with a mostly foam helmet. Cracked all the way through at the shell attachment point.

Can I superglue that/not even worry about it or start looking for a replacement? 

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 0

No, you need to get a replacement. The foam is engineered to absorb the impact. Sounds like it did it's job. Buy a new one. 

Nick Drake · · Newcastle, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 438
Ryan Hamilton wrote:

No, you need to get a replacement. The foam is engineered to absorb the impact. Sounds like it did it's job. Buy a new one. 

^^^^this

Allen Sanderson · · Oootah · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,115

Yup replacement time. Further, most foam helmets have a usage life of about 10 years maximum.

Allen Sanderson wrote:

Yup replacement time. Further, most foam helmets have a usage life of about 10 years maximum.

Well this one had a lifetime of about 4 days

t.farrell wrote:

Well this one had a lifetime of about 4 days

Bummer. Was the damage caused by saving your head, or was it just crushed in a pack or somewhere else? You do have to be kind of careful with the foam helmets, especially if they don't have a hard plastic coating. If you're careful though they can have a long life. My original Petzl Meteor is now 7.5 years old and doing well, aside from the scratches and minor dents in the plastic.

AlpineIce · · Upstate, NY · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 0

Looks like a Mammut Wallrider.  What happened?

Matt Zia · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 66

I had the exact same Mammut Wallrider and the exact same crack happened to it. I think it's the weak point of the foam as it's the thinnest spot between the brim and the attachment point for the rivet holding the plastic shell on.

For what it's worth, my helmet lasted about a year of heavy use, including a trip down to Patagonia, and the crack occurred after I carelessly let my climbing pack roll around the back of my truck on a long, bumpy drive.

It is a Wallrider. Not sure how it cracked. Only noticed it when I got home

climberboy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

If it only lasted 4 days and was never even impacted, I would contact Mammut and have them send you a new one.

Yeah, if they won't replace it look at some other brands. Like I said earlier my Petzl Meteor is still going strong after 7.5 years. I have been somewhat careful with it, but it has definitely been crammed in my pack and scraped up and down rocks when I had to strap it to the outside of my pack. 

AndrewArroz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0
climberboy wrote:

If it only lasted 4 days and was never even impacted, I would contact Mammut and have them send you a new one.

This ^. Or contact where you bought it. It's ridiculous for a helmet to break when not even impacted by something. 

climberboy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0
Ryan Hamilton wrote:

Yeah, if they won't replace it look at some other brands. Like I said earlier my Petzl Meteor is still going strong after 7.5 years. I have been somewhat careful with it, but it has definitely been crammed in my pack and scraped up and down rocks when I had to strap it to the outside of my pack. 

Yeah I really like my Meteor. Super light and seems durable... of course my wife works for Petzl so I'm obligated to say it's good :P Seriously though, it's a fantastic helmet and the styling has improved a lot over the years. 

For those who care, Backcountry.com replaced it. 

Also while I wasn't hit in the head, I don't think it would be fair to say it wasn't impacted - definitely had some bumps and scrapes.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply