Mountain Project Logo

Climbing mount Tammany

Original Post
Nick Krudop · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 20

Does any one know if there is a walk off for mount Tammany my partner and I only have 1 rope and don't want to leave gear in the wall

Crossing · · Breinigsville, PA · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 1,241

Nick, if you climb on the Triumverate Wall, you can rappel The Rib (https://www.mountainproject.com/v/the-rib/106411652) with a single rope.  It's been a while since I rappelled this, but my friend's comment, which I believe he is talking about the second rappel anchor here:

"if you rap climbers left off the ledge with the bolts, you'll make it with a 60 to the raised platform above the trail... at least my 60 makes in no problem. If you rap up the way you climbed, you'll probably run out of rope and risk a bad swing. It's definitely not a good rap line, but I do like being able to get down w/o carrying a second rope."

It's not a good rappel line, if you are inexperienced you may want to track down somebody with a second rope to avoid the shenanigans associated with getting down safely with one rope.  That being said, if you are in need of somebody showing you around, send me a message as I might be available to show you around.

Nick Krudop · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 20

Thanks,  I've climbed triumverate before but with double ropes I didn't know the rib had 2 sets of bolts for raps.

Adam Gellman · · Jersey City/Burlington · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 140

There is also a 5th class decent to climbers left of Triumverate wall. There was tat to rap off of in that gully but it was better to down climb cause of the grade and the brambles/bushes.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply