Sizing/Fit Across Anasazi Shoes?

Original Post
El Duderino · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 55

How does sizing/fit compare across Anasazi shoes (particularly Anasazi VCS and Mocasym, etc)?  I found this, but the original context of the question was deleted.  I am interested in the VCS, but could only find the Mocasym with free return shipping to try on (no brick and motors around me).  The larger one oddly bites my heel more than the smaller size but the toes are crammed more in the smaller one, which is a bit puzzling for me...

Doug Hutchinson · · Seattle, WA · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 95

I'm old school, I lived in a van in '94...

All Anasazi shoes I own (VCSs, Mocs, Pinks, Blancos) are basically the same last (fit) and I size the same = 1/2 down from street shoe. I am a US 9.5 street shoe and I size all my Anasazis US 9.0.

Except for the Mocs, there are all synthetic and do not stretch at all. The Mocs are leather and some people size them way down have them stretch to fit. I can go 8.5 or 9.0 on the Mocs, but don't like really tight shoes so think I like the 9.0 better. 

The Anasazi guide is a different animal but not worthy of discussion (since it is such a beginner, clunky shoe which they should have named something else). 

They do not size up (larger) well, especially the older versions with the higher heel tension, so it makes sense the larger ones bite into your heel more. 

...Get stronger, bitches. 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190

With the exception of Moccasyms, sizing is the same for me across all Anasazis (US 12.5-13 street, US 12 Anasazis), but fit is a different story.  VCS are the widest fit of the bunch and might feel a little baggy, Blancos are super tight and kill my toes if I try to wear them for too long (but are the best edging shoes on the planet), Pinks are somewhere in the middle and are a perfect fit for me.

Since Moccs are leather and stretch like crazy, you'll want to size them differently unless you're sizing them for comfort/cracks.  11.5 stretched to be a perfect performance fit for me.

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 105

Moccs are now available in synthetic http://www.fiveten.com/us/climbing/moccasym-synthetic-white

That said, I think "Moccs stretch like crazy" is a myth. Any leather shoe that you aggressively downsize on is going to stretch because you're cramming a foot into it that's too large. The less you downsize, the less the shoes need to stretch. My Moccs are only a half size down from street, fit reasonably even brand new, loosened up maaaaayyyybe a quarter size the first day I wore them, and have been stable since then.

I just got Pinks in the same size and they fit more or less the same, but less comfy as they are stiffer. I wish they made a lace-up based on the Mocc heel and volume...

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190

The Verde would probably be the closest equivalent, although it's more like a Lace-up version of the Tan (unlike the Pink or White, which are both completely different shoes).  Although I downsized somewhat aggressively (by 5.10 standards), my Moccs stretched to a comfy fit by the end of the first session...and kept going.  By the time I got them resoled a second time, they had stretched so much that I could slip them on/off like a slipper and heel hooks became extremely insecure.

BTW give the Pinks a chance...they soften up really nicely. ;)  They are pretty stiff and clunky out of the box but once you break them in, they're amazing.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply