Mountain Project Logo

Gear bag with a laptop sleve?

Original Post
Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 130

I know there are plenty, just wanted to hear what people like. Here is a list of desired features,  

• fit shoes + chalk-bag, sometimes a rope, quickdraws (or even a light rack)
  • be of allowed carry-on size for the domestic flights 
  • have a heavy-duty padded laptop sleve (smaller is ok, like a 13" macbook)
  • waterproof would be nice but optional
  • don't be particularly ugly but that's optional
alpinejason · · Minneapolis · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 175

I just bought a Granite Gear Rift pack to tote around my tools, equipment and tablet for work. I'm happy with it, much better than the over the shoulder tool bag thing I had before. 

They have 3 sizes of the Rift (I have the middle size, I think it could fit a light rack and thin 60m rope). It has some level of water resistance. I'm a little concerned with the long term durability of the material but will know with time.

I should add that that I really only looked at GG packs since they're locally based and felt compelled to buy one. I'm sure there is competition from every other manufacturer. 

Lena chita · · Cleveland, OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 250

This might be a massive overkill for what you are looking for, but ou don't specify if you want it to be as small as possible... Deuter Traveler has a main pack + detachable daypack. The little pack (10L) can fit a small laptop and all the chargers, etc. The main pack fits rope/gear with room to spare for food, water bottles, down jacket, etc.

Eplumer400 · · Cleveland, OH · Joined May 2016 · Points: 115

If you have an Eddie Bauer outlet near you their Guide 30L pack is great. After 7 years of college, hiking, climbing, and just getting tossed around I finally bought a fresh one. They're usually like $50 or so.

Lena chita wrote:

Deuter Traveler has a main pack + detachable daypack. 

Mama-bear and a baby bear :) a bit too large, though, I don't think it fits into the carry-on

Chase Carpenter · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

The 26L GR1 from Goruck is actually bombproof: https://www.goruck.com/gr1/

They are not cheap, but fit all of your requirements. I've had mine for 4+ years as my EDC, taken it on many climbing and one / two night trips. It does great in all of those situations.

Chase Carpenter wrote:

They are not cheap

No kidding. What exactly does it do to deserve that price? 

PS. Not to sound dismissive but it mostly looks like military fetish to me.

Lena chita · · Cleveland, OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 250
Nivel Egres wrote:

Mama-bear and a baby bear :) a bit too large, though, I don't think it fits into the carry-on

Both my husband and I have flied with them as a carry-on more than once. Mine is a smaller version, his is a giant one, so I had my doubts that it would be allowed...  but so far they have been. If you have it stuffed to the gills, it will look big and will be flagged. But if it is just gear, it compresses down to look relatively small. 

Chase Carpenter · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0
Nivel Egres wrote:

No kidding. What exactly does it do to deserve that price? 

PS. Not to sound dismissive but it mostly looks like military fetish to me.

Fair question - made in America and top-end materials account for most of it. Their blog documented the R&D and product costs a while back...assuming they are candid about their costs - their markup is consistent with other direct-to-consumer products...To each their own, but I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of it and should be able to use it everyday for a long time without having to worry about a thing. 

The all-black bag is pretty subtle - subtle enough to take it to all but the snootiest of meetings in Corporate America.

miwuksurfer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 0

How about the Cilogear Urban 30l?

http://www.cilogear.com/citybags.html

cjohns716 · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0
Jordan Palamos · · Eugene, OR · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 15
W Ham · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 0

BD creek transit, 22L size fits a personal item , 32L fits as a carry on

burly fabric, mostly waterproof, laptop sleeves in both. just started Bike commuting/gym climbing/traveling/using as a work bag and I love it so far

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/climbing-packs/creek-transit-22-BD681196BLAKALL1.html

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply