Mountain Project Logo

Free, established campsites near Glacier

Original Post
Kevin X · · Boulder · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

Hey guys. Planning a trip up to glacier. Has anyone used any of these campsites? https://freecampsites.net/#!Glacier+County,+MT,+United+States

Now, I know it's all national forest land so I can just pitch a tent wherever and sleep there. However, the group I'm going with doesn't seem too keen on that idea. It took enough work to convince them to camp. I don't want to convince them we can just camp on the side of the road. For that reason, I'm looking for a dedicated site where there might be a few other campers. 

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

we had a super hard time finding forest service camping remotely close to glacier.  too much driveing in the morning from where we camped.  We found Chewing Blackbones campground to be the best @ $20.00 per night.

Travis James · · Connecticut · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 232

Go to Polebridge.  Best of both worlds: awesome restaurant, grocery store, and pastries AND free beautiful camping down the road. Seriously make it a point to go and you wont regret spending a few extra bucks on coffee, pastries, and local beer.

If you're looking for camping on the east side of the park that is not a road pull off, look into sites on the Black Feet Nation http://blackfeetfishandwildlife.net/recreational-activity/  you have to buy a permit but its all very inexpensive, supports the original locals, and is closest to Many Glacier: which is the 'crown jewel' of the park.

Be bear aware.

Feel free to shoot me a message if you have other questions, I worked at the Many Glacier Hotel for two years.

Kevin X · · Boulder · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

Thanks Travis! I sent you a PM. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "Free, established campsites near Glacier "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started