TRSolo in the Seattle Area

Original Post
BrokenChairs · · Seattle · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 182

I'm looking to find some places to do some TR soloing in the west Cascade areas and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.  I know that I can rig pretty easily at some cliffs at Exit 32 but was hoping to branch out a bit.  If someone could maybe shoot me a PM with some beta on easily accessible TR routes it would be much appreciated.  I'm pretty new to the area. 

Many Thanks

brian n · · Manchester, WA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 6

This article is mostly about "how" to TR solo, but at the end it gives some general info on where to solo.  With the MP guide or maybe a hard copy of a guide book you could probably zero in on some prospective routes.  Sorry I can't give you more.

http://cascadeclimbers.com/tr-solo-where-and-how-in-the-pnw/

a.blair · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 15

Exit 38- gritscone

exit 47- fun forest (5.7 and 5.9 crack climbs)

thats what ive done so far

Eric Thompson · · Mountlake Terrace wa · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 45

If you go to Castle rock on HWY 2 near Leavenworth, you can climb a 5.6 to the top of Jello Tower and from there set up a tr on like 6 different routes.

Kyle Elliott · · Everett, WA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 360

Leavenworth. Trundle dome. Easy approach, easy to access anchors, and 5.8 to 11+ 

Exit 38 far side. Quite a bit of interstate park and squishy bell are solo tr friendly, easy to access. 5.5-11a 

Mt. Erie, powerline wall. Easy approach, Easy to access anchors. Also sunset slabs. 5.5-10d

Those are walls with steeper routes that don't wander, so no need to rig directional pieces. You can get more laps if you don't have to ever fiddle with your device. 

Matthew Tangeman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 25

Index also has several relatively accessible TR solo options, it just usually takes a bit of questing to find the right anchors and whatnot. You can scramble GNS (if you're comfortable with that) to reach the top of the left side of the LTW, the top of the Country is also pretty accessible by scrambling around to the right. Lots of options that I haven't really explored up around Lookout Point and the UTW. Pressure Drop for sure is an easy and high quality one to hang a rope on if you're up in that area.

I've done my fair share of TR solo laps at Erie after work and while the amount of driving -> quality of climbing ratio might be a bit skewed the wrong way if you're coming from Seattle, it probably has the easiest anchors to access in the area and the setting is beautiful. Easy to get a lot of mileage on Powerline Wall, Orange Wall, Main Wall, or sus the harder routes on the Main Wall Headwall if that's your thing. 

Dan Cooksey · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 15
a.blair wrote:

Exit 38- gritscone

exit 47- fun forest (5.7 and 5.9 crack climbs)

thats what ive done so far

Not to hijack your thread, but where are these cracks at exit 47?

Kyle Elliott · · Everett, WA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 360

Info here..

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/fun-forest/109326532

Note about fun forest: I had a very aggressive local threaten to tow my vehicle (and low-key threaten my car..."Something bad might happen if you park on this road") the first and only time I attempted to climb there. I explained the rocks appear in several published guidebooks, and there was no access issues I was aware of, but respected his wishes and didnt climb there 

a.blair · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 15
Kyle Elliott wrote:

Info here..

Note about fun forest: I had a very aggressive local threaten to tow my vehicle (and low-key threaten my car..."Something bad might happen if you park on this road") the first and only time I attempted to climb there. I explained the rocks appear in several published guidebooks, and there was no access issues I was aware of, but respected his wishes and didnt climb there 

Good to know Kyle, I had no idea.  Thanks for sharing

kurthicks · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 550
Kyle Elliott wrote:

Info here..

Just to chime in about Fun Forest -- the crag is on state DNR lands as is the approach from Denny Creek Road (USFS 58). The best parking is at Asahel Curtis picnic area and walk from there. And the USFS Law Enforcement officer I spoke with about it said that if you can get your car off the pavement along that road, then it's legal to do so.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply