Mountain Project Logo

Bugs at Necedah

Original Post
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190

...are AWFUL right now (mosquitoes).  When I was there the weekend before last, it was pretty much unbearable, and we ended up bailing and going to the Lake, which was fine.  I know it's a lot more susceptible because of the river and had gotten a lot of rain recently, but it definitely was not nearly that bad last time I was there.  Anyone have any beta on how to predict/avoid bugs at Necedah?

Mike Robinson · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 165
Ted Pinson wrote:

...are AWFUL right now (mosquitoes).  When I was there the weekend before last, it was pretty much unbearable, and we ended up bailing and going to the Lake, which was fine.  I know it's a lot more susceptible because of the river and had gotten a lot of rain recently, but it definitely was not nearly that bad last time I was there.  Anyone have any beta on how to predict/avoid bugs at Necedah?

Ted,

Maybe take a gander at this publication on bug prediction.

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1401/1401.5830.pdf

Hope this helps!

MR

Chris treggE · · Madison, WI · Joined May 2007 · Points: 9,295

I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will make Illinois pay for that wall.  

Chris treggE wrote:

I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will make Illinois pay for that wall.  

Do you think a wall will reduce bugs in my code?

James Schroeder · · Sauk County, WI · Joined May 2002 · Points: 3,052

"Talk to most people who have climbed at [Necedah], and they will tell you it's [buggy]."

Jay Knower · · Campton, NH · Joined Jul 2001 · Points: 5,333

Hey Ted, it's pretty common for Necedah to be buggy in the summer. But, I thought Necedah in the summer was bad until I moved to New Hampshire. Out here, the swarms of black flies make Necedah bugginess look downright pedestrian. 

Chris treggE · · Madison, WI · Joined May 2007 · Points: 9,295

The gnats at DL have been horrible this spring too, but really only in the evening.  Not bad during the day.  No mosquitoes yet.  

And yes, Necedah can be horrible if it's been rainy out.  A nice hot dry spell will decrease the numbers.  

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,230

Move to So Cal.

Tradiban wrote:

Move to So Cal.

Definitely So Cal and not FR...

James Schroeder wrote:

"Talk to most people who have climbed at [Necedah], and they will tell you it's [buggy]."

Ah...so you're saying current conditions are more typical and I got lucky last time?  That's unfortunate. :/

Mike Robinson wrote:

Ted,

Maybe take a gander at this publication on bug prediction.

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1401/1401.5830.pdf

Hope this helps!

MR

That was the nerdiest trolling I've seen to date.  Bravo!

Ted Pinson wrote:

That was the nerdiest trolling I've seen to date.  Bravo!

Why thanks Ted!  I am more of a physics type of guy than code writer, so my favorite dorky trolling was this post from a few months ago:

jon jugenheimer wrote:It must be 90F out with 80% humidity today....yup, it is. My only wonder is what is the dew point? (I Just explained what that was to my wife, they don't report metrics like that out in Montana..)

Jon,

We can determine the dewpoint of air if we have temperature and RH (with the help of Psychrometric Chart, Magnus Formula or some other pretty awesome approximations!). Let's do it for fun!

The simplest approximation gets us within ~2 deg C (as long as RH is greater than 50%)

T_dp = T_act - (100-RH)/5 = 32.2 - (20/5) = 28.2 C = 82.8 F !

The math checks out! Now, does anyone want to correct for altitude?

Mike

But hey, that's just me...  If coder jokes tickle your fancy, I'm glad I could provide.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply