Mountain Project Logo

TR solo routes around Linville Gorge

Original Post
ubu · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 0

I'll be taking a family driving trip through Western NC the week of July 10 and am hoping to escape for a bit of toprope soloing around the Linville Gorge area as time allows.  I've never climbed in NC before and don't have a sense of what areas are likely to have top-accessible routes to set up a line.  From the MP route descriptions I don't see a whole lot of obvious options in Linville, Table Rock, etc...can anyone offer some possibilities to aim for?

Thanks!

Scott O · · California · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 65

The Chimneys. If you hike south from Table Rock on the gorge rim, it's an obvious feature to the left of the trail. Short routes, though generally easy. 

ubu · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 0

Thanks for the tip Scott.  Do you happen to know if the Chimneys is covered by any guide books (since there is no info on MP)?

TomCaldwell · · Clemson, S.C. · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 2,563

You can TR solo at Sunken Treasure as well. It is off of 221. There are a few things at Ship Rock you can access top anchors. If you hike to the Upper Tier, you can get to the anchors for Borrowed Time and Gumfighter.

Scott Phil · · NC · Joined May 2010 · Points: 196
ubu wrote:

Thanks for the tip Scott.  Do you happen to know if the Chimneys is covered by any guide books (since there is no info on MP)?

The Chimneys are immediately beside the trail less than a mile to the south of the Table Rock parking lot (shortly after the trail goes through a narrow squeeze section). An easy scramble will get you to the top where there are two large rings for anchors. I'm unaware of any actual routes. Much of this small cliff will be fairly easy, though you can contrive some moves that are more challenging.

stolo · · Shelby, NC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 110

Might be able to setup a TR solo from lunch ledge at Table Rock. 

Benandstuff · · Winston-Salem, NC · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 488
TomCaldwell wrote:

You can TR solo at Sunken Treasure as well. It is off of 221. There are a few things at Ship Rock you can access top anchors. If you hike to the Upper Tier, you can get to the anchors for Borrowed Time and Gumfighter.

Those are both excellent routes and would be good topropes.

I believe the "hidden" aka "better late than never" wall also has top access with a few routes from 5.6-5.11

With the long-ass drive down the forest service road to the Table Rock Parking lot, Ship Rock would be better for a short climbing day.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply