Mountain Project Logo

strange unknown injury

Original Post
Jona Dul · · New Milford, CT · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 75

For the past three days i have had intermittent 'popping' on my right long toe, and today within the last few hours it's become a tad more frequent, and whereas before it felt a tad numb now it is starting to ache. it happens while i'm walking. it's the kind of popping when you crack the knuckles but not satisfying and no noise, pretty much just a similar feel, and slowly increasing ache. i don't know if this is because i wear narrow shoes and i have wide feet, or because i have morton's toe and use VERY asymmetric climbing shoes, mainly scarpa boostic and drago shoes, also a pair of miuras, or if it is another thing entirely. all i know is its never happened before, feels quite strange, and is only affecting that one specific toe. any ideas what it could be or how to prevent future 'popping'?

Carla R · · San Jose, CA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 110
Jona Dul wrote:

i don't know if this is because i wear narrow shoes and i have wide feet, or because i have morton's toe and use VERY asymmetric climbing shoes

Probably. Sounds almost like the beginnings of turf toe... What you describe is exactly how mine started on my big toe before the tendon ruptured a few months later. You definitely don't want anything like that happening.. I could barely walk for about 4 months and couldn't climb for almost 7. 

Stretch out your feet/calves and massage them, everyday, all the time.. Start wearing shoes with some space that let your toes breath/move around and aren't too narrow... Maybe get some arch supports? I'm not a doctor or anything but having experienced a debilitating foot injury, I learned way more about feet than I ever thought I would..

Jona Dul · · New Milford, CT · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 75

the arch supports sound like a good idea, i was thinking that too, and staying away from how my shoes tend to have minimalist cushioning and such, for now at least. the calves and feet thing i can do i'll work that into my morning routine right before breakfast

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply