Mountain Project Logo

The reality is that I'm too...

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374
Quench wrote: I'm reviving an old thread of mine for an update.  We finally got it together enough to go to City of Rocks.  It's was an incredible experience.  We were humbled and challenged and still able to take an afternoon nap and have another go after dinner. 

One pick of Lil Q setting up the rappel on Bath Rock just as the sun set around 9:50 pm.  

Big thanks goes out to everyone, especially RKM for all of the help given.  

Glad you had a good time! I got to both City and Castle last season, and will definitely be there this season. End of July is a for sure trip, just don't know yet if it's east or west, but City/Castle for sure at some point!

Best, OLH
Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 24,665

"Wait until fall and then go to Red Rocks."

OK, slightly longer than 100 yard approach for most routes, but yeah, pretty pedestrian.
Except in summer when it is heat stroke time.

In winter you can road-trip to J-tree for precisely that length of approach, but you'll either be driving quite a bit in and out of the park or you'll be camping.

Chris Little · · Albuquerque N.M. · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Try Table Rock, N.C. Some of the approaches are about 100 yards.Few are more than a 10-15 min walk. Lots of moderates that sew themselves up. The views from mid-route can be incredible on most routes. The drive from the hotel can take awhile, but it's very scenic.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Chris Little wrote: Try Table Rock, N.C. Some of the approaches are about 100 yards.Few are more than a 10-15 min walk. Lots of moderates that sew themselves up. The drive from the hotel can take awhile, but it's very scenic.

Hotel? You can camp at the base of table rock.

Frank Stein · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 205

Warning: thread drift.

Too old, fat, weak and cowardly.

Feel ya...just wanted to commiserate. 

julio412 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 0

JT, Vedawoo,The Snowy range, Lumpy Ridge, Lover's Leap, Donner,Eldo

Chris W · · Burlington, VT · Joined May 2015 · Points: 233

Gunks sounds like a good fit to be honest.

Quench · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0
Old lady H wrote:

Glad you had a good time! I got to both City and Castle last season, and will definitely be there this season. End of July is a for sure trip, just don't know yet if it's east or west, but City/Castle for sure at some point!

Best, OLH

I'm going to plug the CoR's Retreat on Airbnb (hoping that's allowed here).  It worked out really well for us and I'm pretty sure it's the closest roof, real bed and hot shower to the CoR that isn't towed in. 

ViperScale . wrote:

Hotel? You can camp at the base of table rock.

Yes, but he doesn't seem like the outdoor type to me. But I have been at a lot of great parties at the parking lot there.

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

This thread made me laugh and needed it. I haven’t climbed in like two months since I started another business. Man do I miss a few days of easy climbing and fancy hotels... or my bed in my climbing partner’s house.

Marc H · · Longmont, CO · Joined May 2007 · Points: 265

I realize this thread is old and Quench just revived it. However, how in the world are people recommending Lumpy based on his criteria!?

Glad you made it to City of Rocks, Quench. You’re certainly not alone in what you’re looking for. 

RKM · · Alpine, Utah and Almo, ID · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 2,233

How cool is that!.  Climbing some good routes, staying at the local 'hotel'.  Eating, I presume, at the Steakhouse and Pizza place.  Now that's a vacation.  Glad you enjoyed it and hope to see you next time.

Michael Butts wrote:

Good Sir, 

You would be in heaven in Lake Tahoe.

https://www.mountainproject.com/scripts/Classics.php?id=105733959

https://www.mountainproject.com/scripts/Classics.php?id=111500212

I used to live there. I learned to climb trad there. Some of the shortest, easiest, low grade approaches you will find anywhere. Some of the Most classic moderate trad routes anywhere. Bears reach, corrugation corner, Surrealistic Pillar, Haystack, The Line and Traveler buttress. They don't get much better than those. You have fantastic bars and restaurants with amazing food just minutes away from the cliff. Camp Rich, Riva Grill have killer food, beer and views. You will most likely sub the pool for a hot tub to soak in at night and if you need a rest day you just go to one of the many amazing beaches all around the lake. 

I also live in Boulder Co now. Trad Mecca. You can climb classic 7's  in Eldo and Lumpy ridge until your skin falls off.  It can feel  a bit crowded on the weekends these days. 

Are you the Michael Butts who was a DJ on am radio back in the '70's?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "The reality is that I'm too..."

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.