Mountain Project Logo

Front Range alpine rock conditions

Peter Beal · · Boulder Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,825

Here's a broader view from Monday that shows the conditions in the north chimney as well as the rest of the wall

monkeyvanya · · Denver · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 265

Cable route from 7/9. Does anyone have more recent pictures of it?

Nate Penman · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 0

Trying to bag a peak in park next week.  Weather is calling for scattered T-Storms 60% pretty much every day.  With this forecast,is roping up at sunrise and finishing before 1 or so appropriate? or should I be more concerned?  Not trying to do anything stupid, but I want to climb god damn it!

jason.cre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 10
Pocket Lobster wrote:

Trying to bag a peak in park next week.  Weather is calling for scattered T-Storms 60% pretty much every day.  With this forecast,is roping up at sunrise and finishing before 1 or so appropriate? or should I be more concerned?  Not trying to do anything stupid, but I want to climb god damn it!

Depends on the route, your speed, and a more detailed forecast.  Generally if you are back to your car by 1 you probably are off the summit by 1130 or earlier which is usually before the rain comes in.  This is all huge generalities of course.

Kevin Zagorda · · Glen Haven, Co · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 600

Just be ready to turn around if the clouds start to look threatening.  The forecast says 60% chance, but in reality it is either 100% or 0% depending on where you are.

Sunny Jamshedji · · Houston, TX, USA · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 15

Does anyone have a recent photo of the Diamond? We're thinking of climbing it on Monday. We'd prefer no snow in the North Chimney. If there is, then we're plan to walk to Chasm View Rappels and drop down. Any ideas on walking on the snow on Broadway from this right side;if there is any snow?!

Kirtis Courkamp · · Golden · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 378

Diamond was soaked Saturday due to lots of hail Friday night and torrential rains. Many things were waterfalling and running water in the cracks. Got 3 pitches up the yellow wall but it was soaked. D7 was soaked and the casual looked like it was pretty wet too. Hopefully, it will dry out here in a day or so. You can walk across Broadway from the chasm view raps Just rope up for it. 
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Front Range alpine rock conditions"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started