Mountain Project Logo

Anchor Options for this setup

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525
Jaren Watson wrote:

My comment was in jest. 

Sorry, I didn't pick up on that. Sadly sarcasm just isn't the same on the internet...

Ethan George · · Boston, MA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 65

Fastest:

Tie a bowline on tree 1 with one end of the static
Tie a bowline on tree 2 with the other end
Toss the middle of the static over the edge and draw it back while equalizing both sides without getting close to the cliff keeping an eye on where you want the master point to end up.
Tie a BFK and flip the big extra loop over it - 2 lockers oppo and give the slack loop a couple wraps around the anchor lines so it doesn't fall down the cliff & viola!

This method is fast and when you get the hang of eyeing the right spot you can be accurate without a tether. Equalization may not be exact and it might be a few inches left/right of where you were aiming but no one will want to climb with you if it takes you 45 minutes to throw a rope - even if that rope is perfectly equalized and the master point sits just right. After all it's a top rope right?

Firestone · · California · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 186

You could also tie off each tree with a retraced fig8/boline using both ends of the rope. Now that you have two ends tied off to each tree, put a fig8 on a bight in each strand at the right height so they hang over the lip level with each other. Clip both knots and you have two equalized redundant legs of your anchor.

Tim Neumann · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 40

This guy has a good system for this kind of setting...

Tim Neumann · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 40

Part two

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

What is a "locking quickdraw"?   Sorry, I truly have not seen this.

Russ Keane wrote:

What is a "locking quickdraw"?   Sorry, I truly have not seen this.

A quickdraw with lockers on both ends instead of non-lockers. Also referred to as a jesus draw or jesus sling

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Wiled Horse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2002 · Points: 3,669

Id drill two bolts to save those trees from wear. Or hidden RB holes to avoid butthurt locals

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490

I´d probably just tie the rope doubled round the biggest tree and walk to the edge and tie a masterpoint, why do you want to equalise between the tree the two trees? 

Morgan Patterson · · NH · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 8,960
Jim Titt wrote:

I´d probably just tie the rope doubled round the biggest tree and walk to the edge and tie a masterpoint, why do you want to equalise between the tree the two trees? 

Well just incase a car comes along and plows into the first one, knocking it over and sending in down the cliff of course ;-)

Jim Titt wrote:

If you do this, the route has to be in line with the route perpendicular to the cliff edge or the static cord will swing, sawing over the cliff edge. The second tree is probably more for this than for redundancy or equalization because a good tree is bomber enough to use as a standalone anchor

GTS · · SoCal · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 0

You tell him, Eli. This Jim Titt guy is an accident waiting to happen.

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
GTS wrote:

The finer points of top-roping have always escaped me!

GTS wrote:

I mean, you're not gonna die, but doing this may wear out your gear faster than just using two trees. 

Better yet, don't bother TRing and just lead it! 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Anchor Options for this setup"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started