**Best Option for Sport climbing near RIFLE???????

Original Post
Carlos Benitez · · Boulder · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 5

Hi, Im travelling from abroad so i dont know the area. Im going to spend 5/6 days in Rifle climbing, and then I would like to visit another nice/good climbing area close to Rifle. I have a van so transport is not a problem. Something around 5/6 hs driving??? Any Advice? 

Thanks!!!

Forgot to mention: Im looking for Sport crags

Jon W · · Longmont Colorado · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 95

Independence Pass

Lander Wy (wild iris if it is open when you're here), otherwise, sinks canyon ("killer" is a cool route)

Julius Grisette · · Carbondale · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 5

Hogwarts and The Distillery are a couple drainages over. Should be nice conditions climbing over there in the shade. Buy the Western Sloper Guidebook for the Topos. There are many other crags on the western slope. There is some sport climbing near Carbondale and in Glenwood Canyon. There is beta on MP for both Cdale and the Canyon. 

Dan Cooksey · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365
Julius Grisette wrote:

Hogwarts and The Distillery are a couple drainages over. Should be nice conditions climbing over there in the shade. Buy the Western Sloper Guidebook for the Topos. There are many other crags on the western slope. There is some sport climbing near Carbondale and in Glenwood Canyon. There is beta on MP for both Cdale and the Canyon. 

Second this, in the western sloper guide these areas are under "elk creek"

JCM · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 95

If you want more limestone and to stay nearby Rifle, Elk Creek (Hogwarts).

If you want to drive only a couple of hours, to climb on some different (granitic) rock, and to see some amazing alpine scenery, Independence Pass.

If you are willing to drive 5 hours and want to climb some super steep and pumpy routes on crazy cobble rock, Maple Canyon.

If you really want to get full value from your Rifle visit, spend the whole trip there. Rifle requires a bit of time to get used to the style, so I recommend at least a week on your first visit so that you can get familiar with it.

s.price · · PS,CO · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,348

Since you will be close by I would hit up Independence Pass. Great climbing, cool alpine setting, easy camping. 

The Durango area is another option offering a variety of rock types. Cascade, Golf Wall, Lemon, East Animas, Piedra over in Pagosa Springs. 

Skip Fume Wall unless you enjoy the noise of constant traffic and smell of burning brakes.

David Deville · · Flagstaff, Arizona · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 40

I would go to Independence pass. It's incredibly beautiful and the climbing is pretty good and different from rifle.

Jon Frisby · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 100
JCM wrote:

If you really want to get full value from your Rifle visit, spend the whole trip there. Rifle requires a bit of time to get used to the style, so I recommend at least a week on your first visit so that you can get familiar with it.

Can't emphasize this enough. First week in Rifle is like, kinda not that fun. Once you get used to the style, you will climb up to a number grade harder

Awesome guys! Thanks for the info!!! 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply