Warning to others: Gear stolen in Bay Area

Original Post
Michael Roche · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0

Hey everyone, I'm trying to get the word out so that the same won't happen to others.

My outdoor education company had climbing training for new staff at Ring Mountain today (6/4). Two guys started climbing by us while we were finishing up the morning group. Before we left to pick up the next group, we pulled ropes to allow others to climb but left the anchor gear in place. When we returned the gear was missing. Other climbers there told us that the two guys had taken the gear and left a note for "lost gear" with a number. The number turns out to be some dude in Indiana who had no idea what we were talking about. We also saw them as they were leaving the parking lot, unaware that they had our gear.

Any way, be wary if you see a purple/blue van in the area. It had a SUP board and kayak on top and a hang board bolted on the side. It also had a pair of ass cheeks painted on the back with "You gotta love the cheeks" above.

I love the climbing community. Let's not let guys like these ruin it!

kevin deweese · · Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 200

Does your insurance company know that you leave your gear unmonitored in a public place between groups? I'm pretty sure my old program insurers would have given that institutional practice the side-eye

Colby Wangler · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 93

yeah, probably best to keep all your stuff together. Maybe implement "anchor set up" into each group....

Maureen Maguire · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 0

Nothing worse than guide service plugging up routes in a popular place followed by leaving it there while you do something else.  Unattended gear is lost gear. Too bad your stuff is gone but predictably so.  Here's a bump anyway.

Please incorporate Leave No Trace

Brent Kelly · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 5

That sucks. It's a shame those jerks are damaged enough to think theft is ok. Sorry that happened to you, and thanks for calling it out and warning others! 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply