Non Dirtbag Head Protection - HELP!!

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Original Post
Mike Mumford · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Hello - I'm not a dirtbag. I was sent here by the folks at Planet Rock in Ann Arbor. I am in need of two or three climbing helmets for men. We are tree climbers and foresters and need to protect our noggins. WE like the fit of the BD Half Dome but are really just looking for anything cheap. These will be used for trimming and felling dead trees and such. Any help would be appreciated

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5

There aren't different helmets for dirtbags and non-dirtbags, everybody has a head. What matters is that it fits well and is designed for the types of impact you are likely to take. 

David Kerkeslager · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 45
Em Cos wrote:

There aren't different helmets for dirtbags and non-dirtbags, everybody has a head. What matters is that it fits well and is designed for the types of impact you are likely to take. 

Dirtbags wear beanies. It has nothing to do with protecting your head from impact, it's about protecting your head from showing with bad hair on Instagram.

Lol. I am a fan of the BD Half Dome and know someone(s) on here has a couple three they want to get rid of. I can buy new ones but they are only used sparingly and sit in a barn most of the time. I am looking for protection from branches and tree matter that falls while cutting. 

Nate Doyle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10

I know you said cheap but, you can get the BD Half Dome for $47.96 with free shipping from Als. 

http://www.als.com/Black-Diamond-Half-Dome-Helmet/bdequi-helmet_half_dome/Product

You might find used ones here for less but, after paying the shipping it might not be that cheap after all.

Not sure if there are secret "pro deals" to be had around here or not. They'll PM I suppose. I don't know.

fuzzy muzzle · · Seattle · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

This one had me at "I'm not a dirtbag" =) 

Colton · · Folsom, CA · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 20

If you are using these helmets for tree work and felling, I would strongly suggest looking into helmets with a six point suspension system. A cheap climbing helmet is going to be just as expensive as a Bullard and it will not provide the impact protection you need.

Something like this: https://www.esafetysupplies.com/products/bullard-classic-c33-full-brim-hardhat?gclid=CNDPk9z9pNQCFQFofgod58cKzw

And go full brim to keep shit out of your shirt collar.

Got two half-domes from Als. 

Thanks for the help!!!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply