Mountain Project Logo

Great Barrington beta

Original Post
Ryan Denver · · New Jersey · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 10

A friend and I are looking to check out the boulders in Great Barrington this upcoming week and are curious about parking/ trail access. I read another post about trails being covered up due to logging but that was posted a while ago. Any beta helps. Thanks

losbill · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 130

Does anyone have an update regarding access status for Reservoir Rocks? The WMCC website actually indicates that the area is "officially" closed to climbing. Nevertheless it provides directions to the area, a map and instructions regarding where to park.

Based upon the information on the WMCC website I went to boulder at the Reservoir last summer.   I found a "no trespassing, private property, residents only" type of sign, can't remember the exact wording; on the road at the highway department entrance to the highway department lot at the bottom of the reservoir.  It seemed pretty clear and I chose to respect the landowners wishes and not to continue down the road.

Morgan Patterson · · NH · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 8,960

Straight up the hill from the road there is stuff to climb without going back down the road. 

Alan Rubin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 10

Bill, there have been no problems with climbers continuing along the road for roughly 200 yards to a cut-off trail on the left that leads to both the majority of the bouldering and to Reservoir Rocks. 

Ryan Denver · · New Jersey · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 10

Side question! Has anyone been post rain? Does it dry quickly or should I not bother?

Alan Rubin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 10

In general the rock there dries pretty quickly. Of course it varies greatly with whether the boulder in question is open or under trees, the direction it faces, and whether there is any vegetation, etc. on top to cause drainage issues.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Great Barrington beta"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started