Mountain Project Logo

ISO Mentor-Atlanta

Original Post
Kara Matassino · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Hey all. I'm kind of green to climbing and would love some help finding a veteran climber willing to share their time and knowledge with me. I want to respect to mentor/apprentice relationships that older climbers went through to get where they are today. I'm willing to put in the time and work to build a good knowledge base of the climbing disciplines. 

My name is Kara. I'm a female, 22, about to graduate college. I live in the Atlanta area. If anyone is interested I would love to learn all that you have to offer. I have basic sport knowledge (belay, cleaning, rapelling). I'm just looking to improve technique, build a mentor relationship with someone who has been around the block!!   

Please let me know if you would like to take someone under your wing to show me the ropes.

Cheers,

Kara

kmatassino@gmail.com

Brandon.Phillips · · Portola, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 55

What kind of things are you hoping to learn? Just sport climbing and technique, or venture into the world of trad and multipitch?

Kara Matassino · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

I would like to get into trad and mutlipitch! I want to be well rounded in multiple disiplines.  

Ezra Ellis · · Hotlanta · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 0

Kara 

You should check out the Atlanta climbing club on Facebook, some good people there.

Obviously seek out mentors at stone summit,

I'm way too busy with my kids to be of any help at this point,

Best of luck

Alex (spellstrike) Palmiter · · Duluth · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 30

Yeah, You're going to want to meet the Atlanta climbing club. They have a social meeting tonight and a gear swap if you can make it out tonight.

Alex (spellstrike) Palmiter · · Duluth · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 30

Also, the mentoring thing is actually more of a new thing. the real old climbers just figured it out.

Buddy Smith · · GA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 40

Kara, I'm back in the game after a hiatus and I'm getting my chops back. I spent 1994 in a van climbing all over the US. Was out of the game for a while and have been back in the gym since November. I climb at Wall Crawlers (member), and I've been to Lost Wall a couple of times this month. I need partners with transportation to hit Lost Wall, Sandrock, and other nearby crags. I have all the gear for TR, trad, and sport, and I've been told that I'm a good teacher. PM me if you'd like to hit the gym or the crags. I'm happy to mentor new climbers as long as you're safe and don't wig out over a scraped knee or something! I usually have Monday and Tuesday off, and I'm free till 3 most days (work nights). Let's climb!

oh, and spellstrike, I was mentored back in the day! Assuming our definition of a mentor is the same...

Ryan Doster · · GA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0
Buddy Smith wrote:

Kara, I'm back in the game after a hiatus and I'm getting my chops back. I spent 1994 in a van climbing all over the US. Was out of the game for a while and have been back in the gym since November. I climb at Wall Crawlers (member), and I've been to Lost Wall a couple of times this month. I need partners with transportation to hit Lost Wall, Sandrock, and other nearby crags. I have all the gear for TR, trad, and sport, and I've been told that I'm a good teacher. PM me if you'd like to hit the gym or the crags. I'm happy to mentor new climbers as long as you're safe and don't wig out over a scraped knee or something! I usually have Monday and Tuesday off, and I'm free till 3 most days (work nights). Let's climb!

oh, and spellstrike, I was mentored back in the day! Assuming our definition of a mentor is the same...

I just saw this around two years later, but I recently made a similar post to kara. If you could check that out, that would be great. Im just looking for experienced climbers who could help me get into the sport safely.

Wes Whitaker · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 126

the Atlanta Chapter of the American Alpine Club is a great resource for meeting nice and experienced climbers. There are community meet-ups, educational opportunities, and “climb with us” outings. I’d encourage you to find them on FB, IG, or send an email: atlantachapter@americanalpineclub.org 

Cheers! 

J Gargamel · · chattanooga · Joined Dec 2019 · Points: 1

KARA, its likely that Alex misunderstanding your question.

Mentoring, as a means of learning in the world of climbing, is less common now.  But, don't take my word for it, ask other climber, AS LONG as they've been climbing long enough and are well traveled enough to see trends in climbing culture.  The new generations of climbers have the internet, and they frequently think that because information is presented in a professional and well spoken manner, it must be true and safe information. This mistake has dire implications, and must be avoided! Learn from those who have been climbing as long as you've been alive, and/or have discussions on the 'best ways' AND why you think its the best way. We old farts don't like hearing about rescues or participating in them!        

How do you think people learned in the 90's (books can only teach you so much, the info must be applied while your life is on the line)? They 'figured it out' thru climbing with more experienced people. Also a contributing factor but more subtle is this fact: 'back in the day' anyone getting into climbing had life experiences and some tacit knowledge which allowed what is called 'common sense' to keep them safe and facilitate learning.  Example: a tree worker may get into climbing, and their knowledge/experience from working with rope, knots, also the forces and momentum from lowering limbs while on tree removal projects would shorten their learning curve, and keep them safe.

Back in the day, most often people who were destined to be climbers were, backpackers, outdoorsman (and women), ranches, hunters, and the like who understood outdoor ethics and skills. Another example: people who know how bad it is the urinate in a rock shelter, I'm talking you RRC Gallery climber, that's NOT an outhouse just behind Yaak Crack. Climbing used to be an 'exclusive' sport (as opposed to an 'inclusive' sport); and, for these reasons mentorship must become common again.

Teaching and learning is fundamental, mentorship is very rewarding for both parties. Get after it Ms. Matassino, ask questions, buy beers, listen to stories, and enjoy the best sport in the world!

The above opinions of one climber with 28 years of experience and 'facts' should be checked for accuracy. Any comments meant to be snarky or derogatory should be reviewed to make sure they meet a minimum acceptable level of humor, seriously.

Take care.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "ISO Mentor-Atlanta "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started