Mountain Project Logo

Alex Honnold has soloed El Capitan


FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
Old lady H wrote:

1 is an exaggeration, but single digit for sure. Maybe too lean, but hey, works for him!

Nice portrait. A link to the article would be nice.

OLH

All you have to do is Google "Red Bulletin." Sheesh, Helen, do you need to be spoon-fed? :)

Jim Fox · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 50

Does anyone know when and how the video will be released? 

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 883
FrankPS wrote:

All you have to do is Google "Red Bulletin." Sheesh, Helen, do you need to be spoon-fed? :)

Of course I can Google it Frank, people often post links. Sheesh. 

Besides, it's an opportunity to annoy certain parties on here. Not you, sir. ;-)

Spoon feed? No. Intravenous. No coffee yet.

H.

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,688
Woodchuck ATC wrote:

And just in time,,,,the Red Bulletin by Red Bull has an 8 page article about Alex in their new issue out this week.  Great to see more climbing being covered there, and not just motocross sports and unknown dufus bands they sponsor.  Great pics too.!

  Are we talking about maybe 1% body fat on him these days?

Why is he wearing a harness in the pic?

trice Rice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 0
Woodchuck ATC wrote:

And just in time,,,,the Red Bulletin by Red Bull has an 8 page article about Alex in their new issue out this week.  Great to see more climbing being covered there, and not just motocross sports and unknown dufus bands they sponsor.  Great pics too.!

  Are we talking about maybe 1% body fat on him these days?

Lol at 1% body fat. He would be dead.

He is much closer to 8-10%

Jim Fox · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 50
trice Rice wrote:

Lol at 1% body fat. He would be dead.

He is much closer to 8-10%

Essential body fat for a man is about 2%. Some elite body builders get as low as 3-4% before competing but it is not sustainable for very long. 

trice Rice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 0
Jim Fox wrote:

Essential body fat for a man is about 2%. Some elite body builders get as low as 3-4% before competing but it is not sustainable for very long. 

exactly. Thus Honnold is not even close to 1% here. If you see pictures of body builders at 3-4% they are shredded to a non-human level. You can see the striations in all of their muscles. Here Honnold is obviously shredded, but much closer to a 8ish% shredded. People have a severe misconception of what % body fat equates to how lean someone looks. 

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 883
trice Rice wrote:

exactly. Thus Honnold is not even close to 1% here. If you see pictures of body builders at 3-4% they are shredded to a non-human level. You can see the striations in all of their muscles. Here Honnold is obviously shredded, but much closer to a 8ish% shredded. People have a severe misconception of what % body fat equates to how lean someone looks. 

Yup. 8% is my guess, comparing to someone I once knew who was 9%. 

He taught a swimming class for adults. He showed us that most people, if you don't panic, don't actually sink. If he filled his very capacious lungs, and held very still, he bobbed just under the surface. Exhale? Dropped like a rock.

Me? Exhale, and I'm still bobbing around with my head waaay out of the water, lol! 

Best, OLH

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

I sink like a rock, even with full lungs. I am skinny and not shredded. I bet I'm 8-12 percent.

I personally don't trust anyone who claims a body fat percentage. With calipers I have seen variation with the same tester and subject. It's enough of a difference that it seems useless. With electric impedence, they're even worse (at least they were 10 years ago, the last time I used one). For the dunk tank, forget about it. I tried three times, one was -2, one was 49, and the other somewhere in the 20's. All were clearly wrong.

Basically if you are healthy and don't have a belly, you're good. Don't put a number on it.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 883
highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion wrote:

I sink like a rock, even with full lungs. I am skinny and not shredded. I bet I'm 8-12 percent.

I personally don't trust anyone who claims a body fat percentage. With calipers I have seen variation with the same tester and subject. It's enough of a difference that it seems useless. With electric impedence, they're even worse (at least they were 10 years ago, the last time I used one). For the dunk tank, forget about it. I tried three times, one was -2, one was 49, and the other somewhere in the 20's. All were clearly wrong.

Basically if you are healthy and don't have a belly, you're good. Don't put a number on it.

So, my work place gives a discount on our health insurance if we meet certain criteria, including body fat, or bmi, variously over the years.

One time, when they took my height (5'0"), they misread the tape measure stapled on the wall. Put me down at 4'9". I was all set to win an award the next year for the biggest bmi change, but my boss made me go back and have them fix it!

I've not got the same results twice, either. Be healthy. Easiest plan.

Best, OLH

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

how do you get the ripping abs and the leanness like the honnold? My muscles have meat of considerable size and are quite massive, veiny, and impress to everyone, as you can see, but they carry with them slight amount subcutaneous body fat, and I do enjoy the high quality cheesesteak, bucket of fishhead, or live goldfish too much to properly starve myself into the honnlove form

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,734
Andrew Krajnik wrote:

Why is he wearing a harness in the pic?

To hide the bulge from that giant set of balls he lugs around.

Simon W · · Nowhere Land · Joined May 2013 · Points: 75
Aleks Zebastian wrote:

climbing friend,

how do you get the ripping abs and the leanness like the honnold? My muscles have meat of considerable size and are quite massive, veiny, and impress to everyone, as you can see, but they carry with them slight amount subcutaneous body fat, and I do enjoy the high quality cheesesteak, bucket of fishhead, or live goldfish too much to properly starve myself into the honnlove form

Step 1-

Climb el cap with a baby in a backpack 

Step 2-

????

Step 3-

1% body fat.  Maximum Honnlove

· · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Old lady H wrote:

Yup. 8% is my guess, comparing to someone I once knew who was 9%. 

He taught a swimming class for adults. He showed us that most people, if you don't panic, don't actually sink. If he filled his very capacious lungs, and held very still, he bobbed just under the surface. Exhale? Dropped like a rock.

Me? Exhale, and I'm still bobbing around with my head waaay out of the water, lol! 

Best, OLH

If you completely exhale you will sink. Most people don't fully exhale and you can easily float by never fully exhaling.

Perry Norris · · Truckee · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 45

Not much to add that hasn't been said but a friend made these points:

Honnold has three superb characteristics in balance sort of at the edge of human possibility: mind control, fitness and technique.  

He probably didn't even get pumped on Freerider.

David K · · New Paltz, NY · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 138
Scoop wrote:

He probably didn't even get pumped on Freerider.

I would hope not. Free soloing something that gets you pumped isn't smart.

He did a hangboard workout after.

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,110
Old lady H wrote:

1 is an exaggeration, but single digit for sure. Maybe too lean, but hey, works for him!

Nice portrait. A link to the article would be nice.

OLH

Hey Frank, I only had the print copy of mag mailed to me and just scanned to attach pic.  I didnt' go check online or get a link...( I'm old school' yet ,,,= no tablet, iPad, Android phone, etc.)

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
Woodchuck ATC wrote:

Hey Frank, I only had the print copy of mag mailed to me and just scanned to attach pic.  I didnt' go check online or get a link...( I'm old school' yet ,,,= no tablet, iPad, Android phone, etc.)

https://www.redbulletin.com/us/us/sports/alex-honnold-just-became-the-first-man-to-free-solo-el-capitan

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 883
Woodchuck ATC wrote:

Hey Frank, I only had the print copy of mag mailed to me and just scanned to attach pic.  I didnt' go check online or get a link...( I'm old school' yet ,,,= no tablet, iPad, Android phone, etc.)

Frank corrected me for my laziness. He's got no dog in this non fight. ;-) OLH

Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 185

sorry if this was already answered. 

any idea when the film comes out? 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Alex Honnold has soloed El Capitan"

Log In to Reply