Mountain Project Logo

Alex Honnold has soloed El Capitan

Walter Galli · · Las vegas · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 2,267

Another star on the climbing world...

Unemployed Astronaut · · Portland · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0
Jake wander wrote:

sorry if this was already answered. 

any idea when the film comes out? 

Whenever they release it, probably 6 months to a year, maybe faster, maybe slower. But seriously they probably have at least another couple months of shooting footage for it, then a few months of editing, all while everyone involved works on other things also 

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,110

I'm sure they have a 'target date' for release. Seems if there is any competition among climbing films to grab attention and few cash dollars that most young climbers would have available, they would plan to come out ahead of any new DVD release of a Reelrock film.  In past, Reelrock has been on tour in fall season, and then out for sale by early in the new year. 

Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 185
unemployed astronaut wrote:

Whenever they release it, probably 6 months to a year, maybe faster, maybe slower. But seriously they probably have at least another couple months of shooting footage for it, then a few months of editing, all while everyone involved works on other things also 

This answer could not be more ambiguous lol

normajean · · Reading, PA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 100
Jake wander wrote:

This answer could not be more ambiguous lol

I think he narrowed it down. A lot.

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,110
normajean wrote:

I think he narrowed it down. A lot.

Should hopefully be released before the next asteroid hits earth.  Before the Trump presidency ends lets hope.  Hey,,if we are lucky, that could be in just a few months !!!

Faafo . · · Woodson · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 10

Abandoned User · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 6,600

Just watching the trailer got my heart rate up. Psyched for the movie.

Kaner · · Eagle · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 2,355

wow.  most of it was pretty cool, but that last shot combined with the gut dropping music got me!

Nick Votto · · CO, CT, IT · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 320

Looks great, last shot is epic!!

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick

Tim Young · · Pennsylvania · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 21

It seems a little overdone to me. The footage looks great, and I'll totally watch it to support Alex, but it seems a bit done up and dramatic.

I wish Sender produced it, not NatGeo.

Peter J · · Ford E-150, wherever · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 145
Tim Young wrote: It seems a little overdone to me. The footage looks great, and I'll totally watch it to support Alex, but it seems a bit done up and dramatic.

My thoughts exactly. I hate to see stuff in climbing over dramatized. The dawn wall, the nose in 2 hours, free soloing el cap, etc. Incredible achievements in climbing, but ultimately nothing more than circus tricks.

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175

I really want to know what is up with his sideburn in that one shot in the van with his girl.  Looks like a little hook or something.  

That's my main concern.

brian burke · · santa monica, ca · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 130

i feel like this crew struck a really good balance between climbing and 'drama' in meru and i would imagine this is going to have a similar vibe.  

stoked for it.

Rob T · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 10
Peter J wrote:

My thoughts exactly. I hate to see stuff in climbing over dramatized. The dawn wall, the nose in 2 hours, free soloing el cap, etc. Incredible achievements in climbing, but ultimately nothing more than circus tricks. Playing it up to be something that it is not simply detracts from the integrity of the thing itself.

Couldn’t disagree more. Aside from their inability to release a movie w in 3+ years of event completion(Dawn wall), I’ll take generic dramatization over their heavy handed work any day. 

See Valley Uprising(over playing Bridwell’s acid use, ranger confrontations etc) and High and Mighty(edited to look like Webb’s ascent of Livin Large inspired Woods’ ascent of The Process, when the latter took place 5 mos earlier). 

Editorial over reach like that is expected from Wild world of sports type stuff, but not allegedly “by climbers, for climbers” production groups. 

Hobo Greg · · My Van · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 190

"Everyone who has made freesoling a major part of their life is dead now"

Yeah, but it's too bad for the soundbite that most of em didn't die freesoloing. "Everyone who has knitted sweaters is dead now. From heart disease, car accidents, liver failure, etc. But they are ALL dead."

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 113
Hobo Greg wrote: "Everyone who has made freesoling a major part of their life is dead now"

Yeah, but it's too bad for the soundbite that most of em didn't die freesoloing. "Everyone who has knitted sweaters is dead now. From heart disease, car accidents, liver failure, etc. But they are ALL dead."

dying while soloing (bachar, hersey,) wing suiting (potter,), jumping off huge shit tied into ropes (osman)....adrenaline addiction kills people that free soloed at the edge of human ability. For all of these climbers they made free soloing a huge part of their climbing and eventually that led them to death while soloing or in search of more thrills like it.

Its a zero sum game.

"If you climb at the edge you eventually find it..."

--Jimmy Chin

They find that edge somewhere.
Peter J · · Ford E-150, wherever · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 145
Rob T wrote:

I’ll take generic dramatization over their heavy handed work any day. 

Sure I agree, but I'm an idealist. I am disappointed and I'm saying it could be done better. But yes, I'm sure it could have been done a LOT worse. I know the production team is the A team.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Peter J wrote:

Sure I agree, but I'm an idealist. I am disappointed and I'm saying it could be done better. But yes, I'm sure it could have been done a LOT worse. I know the production team is the A team.

You're basing all this on a trailer - something intentionally designed to be arresting and often highly dramatic. Why not reserve judgement until the actual film?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Alex Honnold has soloed El Capitan"