Good outdoor routes for young children?

Original Post
Matt Wilson · · Vermont, USA · Joined May 2010 · Points: 165

I have a 4 year old daughter who loves climbing indoors and I want to start bringing outdoors.  Does anyone know of any climbs that A: have a relatively safe approach, B: are 5.5 or easier, and C: are climbable by young children?  We are located in central Vermont, so the closer to home, the better.

EDIT: I don't have trad gear, so it needs to be something top-ropable either by leading it on bolts  first or by hiking to the anchor.

Dhane Knakkergaard · · Intervale, NH · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 105

That first pitch up to the tree at beginners route on Whitehorse. Always kiddos on that. 

Dhane Knakkergaard wrote:

That first pitch up to the tree at beginners route on Whitehorse. Always kiddos on that. 

Thanks, but I don't have any trad gear to get to the anchor :(

I dont wanna be that guy... but in my times climbing that I have never roped up to get to the tree. theres some cord and rings on the tree as well. 

Zach Swanson · · Newton, MA · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 28

I'm thinking of trying my son out on Mowgli Grape or Dertigo at Rumney's Venus Wall. Both are 5.3/5.4 and when I checked them out last season they look like jug ladders. You could also have them walk up Clip a Dee Doo Dah at Jimmy Cliff, 5.3 slab.

zswan wrote:

I'm thinking of trying my son out on Mowgli Grape or Dertigo at Rumney's Venus Wall. Both are 5.3/5.4 and when I checked them out last season they look like jug ladders. You could also have them walk up Clip a Dee Doo Dah at Jimmy Cliff, 5.3 slab.

Clip a Dee Doo Dah would be great but I am not so sure about the hike up

Zach Swanson · · Newton, MA · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 28

Yah that part would definitely suck. Even Venus isn't a great approach for little kids. 

week with pete?

sbaclimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2013 · Points: 0

Sorry it isn't close to you, but my daughter hiked in and climbed the Below-The-Measles Wall at Crane Mt ('dacks) when she was 4. It has "The easiest sport route in the Adirondacks" (Adirondack Rock, Lawyer / Haas, 2014) and can be easily hiked to the top-of to setup a toprope (might require a cam or two...).

Dhane Knakkergaard wrote:

week with pete?

Maybe... I am trying to remember how reachy the start is

Russ Keane · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 90

Try little sections/parts of climbs, that lead to a tree and/or a bolt. and set up tiny climbs that way.  No need for a "complete" pitch at all!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply