Donner Summit Area Conditions

Original Post
Charles Gurrey · · Oakland · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0

Thinking about heading up to Donner Summit Area next weekend. Any info on general conditions (Snow, dry or wet routes) especially Snowshed Wall, Black Wall, Star Wall, etc.

Eli · · Lives in a truck · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 2,576

Been up there the past 4 days. You're definitely going to find stuff that is dry to climb.

Lindsey Robinson · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 50

I was at snowshed a couple days ago. There were a number of people in the molar concentration area, but most of the climbing to the left of that seemed fairly snowed in ( the approach anyway, the climbing seemed doable with a little bootpacking). A different crag up the road was dry but the bolts were all rusted :( 

Ian Machen · · Reno, NV · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 35

I was up yesterday. Star Wall was still pretty snowed in. What Lindsey said is correct, the center and right side of Snowshed is fine. Beware of the climb up , not quite sure how long the snow will last up to the base, it was pretty melted under. Green Phantom is clear. Black Wall has a few wet spots, but is very climbable. School Rock is mostly clear.

brooks munyer · · Reno, NV · Joined May 2012 · Points: 60

I was at snowshed two weeks ago and everything was dry except for the few routes on the far East side.  Everything right of Nova express is dry, the approach was snowy though.  Black Wall seems all dry. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply