Mountain Project Logo

Rock Climbing Instructor in Southeast Asia

Original Post
Caro Cuartas · · Denver, CO · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 5

Hello! I live in Colorado and would love to live overseas to rock climb all the time! 

I was hoping if anyone knew how I could be a rock climbing instructor in Thailand or somewhere in Southeast Asia!? I have no idea where to even start looking!

Tim Heid · · AZ · Joined May 2009 · Points: 2,196

I'd definitely look into these guys: 

http://www.asiaoutdoors.com.vn/#maichau

While in Cat Ba, we used Asai Outdoors to help charter a DWS trip in Ha Long Bay and almost everyone there was non-native, English speaking (from Australia, US, England etc.). Their shop was clean, had a well run operation, really mellow vibe, and you can apply right from the site above if you so desired.

I've climbed in Thailand and even though we didn't use guide, all of the guides around seemed to be Thai locals.

BryanOC · · All over · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5

Some of the areas have rules against foreigners being rock climbers.  Tonsai being one of them.  They want to employ Thai's only, but YMMV depending on your chosen region.  However, first you need to get a work permit worked out.  It would be hard to get unless you have connections in Thailand already.  Just like the USA, you need to prove that a Thai person can't do that job and your skills are special and needed.  Good luck! 

awolf · · New York, NY · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 5
Brian Smeets · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 0

I was climbing in Ha Long bay recently and met a guy who was working there about a year. He said he responded to that ad and seemed to be having a great time.

There are two climbing companies operating there, Cat Ba Climbing and Asia Outdoors. They run the outdoor climbing areas and actually lease the land from the government; the Vietnamese are pretty careful about injuries because they don't want to hurt the tourist industry. There are lots of first-time climbers there that want to go for a day or two; I can see why as there is some pretty nice limestone and it's a great place for DWS. FYI there is also a new Asia Outdoors climbing area up the coast that is supposed to be stellar. I think they just opened it to the public.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply