Video Trip Report - Original Route (1200' 5.12) on Rainbow Wall in Red Rock NV

Original Post
Dan Ressler · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2007 · Points: 20

My climbing partner put together this great video on our ascent of the Original Route. You can find it here.

Dan Ressler · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2007 · Points: 20

I should note, the opening scenes are from when my partner, primarily a boulderer, solo'd the heinous approach to the base of the wall to cache water and nearly epic'ed.

pfinnegan · · Boulder, CO · Joined May 2004 · Points: 65

Nice!  Congrats - conditions looked awesome.  

Overheated vehicle after that ascent/descent also seems cruel.  Well done!

Dave Holliday · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2003 · Points: 1,331

Great video, Dan. Thanks for sharing.

Tyler Needham · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 155

Damn, that slab approach looks sketch!

Walter Galli · · Sint Maarten · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 1,956

The approach is sick.. I will live there a anchor with a draw and come down with a grigri..for sure.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190

Dude, mad props!  That was actually an enjoyable video.  Route looks so blank, lol.  What possessed you to go after a 5.12 that big/committing if your hardest trad lead was a 10?  That's quite a leap!

ryman Wiemann · · Chevy Chase · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 10
Ted Pinson wrote:

Dude, mad props!  That was actually an enjoyable video.  Route looks so blank, lol.  What possessed you to go after a 5.12 that big/committing if your hardest trad lead was a 10?  That's quite a leap!

Thanks! Yeah, I was very surprised, I was not expecting to do so well on the route. I have done a dozen or so leads at Seneca Rocks which is a bit notorious for being sandbagged so maybe the guidebook said 10a but it was probably much harder. The route takes gear really well and is not so crack climbing intensive in my opinion, so that fit into my sport climbing/bouldering background. I was 100% under the impression that Dan (my partner) was going to do all the hard leads and I just follow them... He wasn't going to let me off the hook so easily... We ended up swinging leads the whole way. I will say I highly, highly doubt I would have been able to onsight the 12- dihedral pitch near the top on lead (Dan onsighted it!!!!). I barely pulled the flash off while following it. I am glad I took the lead it was not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. Training certainly helped a bunch. Thanks for the props. It was really fun making the video and the whole experience was awesome!

Dalton Frankton · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

This was a great video. Thanks for sharing

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply