Mountain Project Logo

Anyone been to Morocco?

Original Post
ZB 4yr · · Watertown, Massachusetts · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

I know this is a stretch here but...

I'm flying into Marrikesh mid October with my girlfriend.  She's not too into vertical things but I'd love to get into the mountains with her for 2-3 days while we are there.  Any suggestions in terms of towns to stay in with easy access to hiking or specific mountains which are close ish to the larger cities?  As long as there's not to much snow we are both in excellent shape and could tackle something up to 10k.  Does anyone know where I might be able to easily find this info?

Thanks in advance. 

Mike Mellenthin · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 70

I was there 7 years ago so my info is old, but I did the Toubkal hike along with everyone else and thought it was pretty fun. Especially if your gf isn't super into mountains -- you stay in a huge refuge. Should be pretty easy to find info about this on the internet. IIRC getting to Imlil took a few hours by taxi from Marrakech.

Gunkswest · · CA · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 6,923

I second Jebl Toubkal, the highest peak in N Africa and a fun adventure. In October, we took a taxi to Imlil at the end of the road and hiked a bit to a kasbah (used as a location for the movie Kundun; http://www.kasbahdutoubkal.com/). Next morn, we hiked up to the refuge just below the peak. We only had light sleeping bags, but were able to rent additional blankets from the caretaker. Started early the next morn from the hut (make sure you leave in the correct direction - slightly up and left when looking uphill from the hut) to the summit, then all the way back down to trailhead and into town later that day.

Visit both Fez and Marrakech - both are great and quite different. We spent a couple days in Marrakech and four or so days wandering the alleys of Fez. They are like the Star Wars Cantina for real!

We climbed a week at the Todra Gorge (great), went into the Sahara and thru the anti-Atlas. 

Morocco is an amazing place.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply