Urgent: Protect Red Rocks: AB277

Original Post
Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60

I'm sure there is another thread on this subject, but I couldn't find it and so it seemed easier to start a new one.  Some of you may have received an email from the Save Reds Rocks committee about AB277, which is the proposed bill to protect Red Rocks from the recently proposed development to be built adjacent to it.  It seems easier to just cut and paste the entire email, so here it is:

Rumor has it...the Governor may veto AB277!

Please call Governor Sandoval now (775) 684-5670 and ask him to protect Nevada's Conservation Areas including Red Rock Canyon and PLEASE SIGN AB277!

Out of hundreds of bills being considered this session, AB 277, the bipartisan bill for Red Rock Canyon and the other Nevada NCAs, is THE MOST POPULAR BILL in the Nevada Legislature, with nearly 3500 commenters, 93.5% of whom are FOR it!  Thanks to all your support!  Yet we are hearing concerns from the Governor's office about a possible veto!  Can you believe it?  What in the world is going on behind the scenes? Do the people matter in this state?  Even if you've already written a letter, please call the Governor NOW  and ask him to please sign AB277 to protect our Nevada treasures like Red Rock Canyon and Black Rock and Sloan. We must act fast.  He could veto it by tomorrow!

(775) 684-5670 Governor's Office
You may also still email Governor Sandoval hereMore info:
We are hearing that Governor Brian Sandoval may veto AB277 (full text of the bill), the important piece of bipartisan legislation that would require a common sense Environmental Impact Study (EIS) to be done by developers who wish to develop next to National Conservation Areas (within 1/2 mile).  There is no reason this bill should not be signed.  It takes away absolutely no property rights.  It only adds a clause that responsible developers should gladly volunteer to do anyway if they care about their surroundings.  Apparently someone is pressuring the Governor to VETO this bill even against the overwhelming public support.  It's so sad. Please call the Governor NOW and ask him to: Please sign AB277 to protect Red Rock Canyon and our National Conservation Areas, to support over 50,000 who people have signed the petition to Keep Red Rock Rural and who care about all our National Conservation Areas. The overwhelming majority of people want it and bipartisan majorities of both the Nevada Assembly and Senate thought it was important enough to make it a law to help protect our National Conservation Areas.  Please show you care about the good people of Nevada and sign this important bill to protect Red Rock Canyon and our precious National Conservation Areas.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

To clarify, the development wouldn't be in Red Rock National Conservation Area, but near it?

Frank, in a word, yes.  I haven't looked at the materials in a while, but my recollection is that there are proposed a new housing development(s) within 1/2 mile of the conservation boundary.  Within ear shot and eye shot.  

Rows and rows of beautiful condos to enhance the natural beauty of Red Rocks.  Much needed given the many empty housing units abandoned by their owners when they went underwater.  Sorry for the editorializing...

Patrick Shyvers · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 15

Supposedly there's also been a lot of fighting in other developments in Nevada, where the development tries to illegally gate or close roads to a nearby recreation area in order to keep their "peace and quiet", (similar to wealthy beachfront owners trying to illegally block beach access) which is one of the things Save Red Rocks is afraid of happening here.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,530
Patrick Shyvers wrote:

Supposedly there's also been a lot of fighting in other developments in Nevada, where the development tries to illegally gate or close roads to a nearby recreation area in order to keep their "peace and quiet", (similar to wealthy beachfront owners trying to illegally block beach access) which is one of the things Save Red Rocks is afraid of happening here.

Uh, no. Save Red Rock is not in the least worried about rich homeowners shutting down a major highway preventing people from using Red Rock. If you look at the maps, you'll see that this could not actually happen. 

The development in question is actually in this weird exception zone inside the conservation area, so it's intrusive by nature. Making it anything but rural is, imho, inappropriate zoning for the area. 

There are tons of reasons that this development is a bad idea. The bill is a good idea, but I suspect that if the governor is thinking of vetoing it, it's because he doesn't think it'll hold up in court (the last one didn't and cost the state millions). I'm not a lawyer, so I can't comment on the legality of it. Hopefully the legislature had attorneys review the bill to ensure it'll hold up in court because Gypsum will almost certainly sue over it. 

Bump.  

John Hegyes · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2002 · Points: 4,815

Nevada Assembly Bill 277 has been vetoed by Governor Sandoval today, June 1, 2017. Link to LVRJ article here:

Sandoval veto pen hits five bills

Quote from above LVRJ article: 

Gov. Brian Sandoval on Thursday issued five vetoes and signed dozens more bills into law as the 2017 Nevada Legislature winds down. Sandoval has issued 19 vetoes this session, including:...

• Assembly Bill 277, which would have put more requirements in place for developers who want to build inside or within a one-half mile of national conservation areas.
Patrick Shyvers · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 15
John Wilder wrote:

Uh, no. Save Red Rock is not in the least worried about rich homeowners shutting down a major highway preventing people from using Red Rock. If you look at the maps, you'll see that this could not actually happen. 

Ok, apologies, I must have gotten my access fights mixed up.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply