What's your opinion on rope storage and travel.

Original Post
Buddy Smith · · GA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 40

What's the prevailing opinion on rope storage and portage? Back in the day ('94-'02) I used to always carry and store my rope in a rope bag, flaking the rope onto the tarp loosely to prevent bend memory in the rope. Now in the video age (YouTube) I'm seeing more people coiling both ends separately onto two sides of the tarp and rolling into the bag, or just transporting and storing in a butterfly or backpack coil. What are you cats and kittens doing for rope care? I'm back in the game and will be hitting the crags every week or two. 

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 63

Tie end into bottom of bag, flake in the rope, tie the other end to the top of the bag. Good to go when I show up at the crag. If I am going to go do somethign where I don't want a rope bag I figure out that when I go to do that type of route. 

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, California · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 95

Flake, tie the top end, and roll into a burritto.  If I am not bringing my tarp (like for a multipitch day), I coil it and pit it in/on my pack.

Jay J · · Euelss · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 0

The one thing to avoid is setting a rope down in a parking lot or anywhere else battery acid might be present.  

Life got much better once I was introduced to the rope tarp concept and I wasn't having to coil as often.  There are times to coil, but I always keep it in a bag or backpack to keep it safe at the car.

David Gibbs · · Ottawa, ON · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 6

There should be no worry about storing the rope coiled -- given that the manufacturer will generally ship the rope in a tighter coil than you will achieve, then it will be warehoused & sit in retail in that coid for weeks/months/years before being purchased -- having it coiled between uses is not a problem.

clint helander · · anchorage, alaska · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 438

i really wouldn't worry about it. Just do what feels good for you and go climbing. 

Buddy Smith · · GA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 40
clint helander wrote:

i really wouldn't worry about it. Just do what feels good for you and go climbing. 

That's pretty much what I was thinking but thanks to all contributors! We climb on solid gear that takes the abuse we give as long as we aren't assholes! Rock on!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply