Spots to stay in LA for tonight?

Original Post
cmqr9001 Black · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

Hey climbing friends! My girlfriend and I are in LA tonight in need of a place to stay with our truck camper setup. All of the local campgrounds are full it seems. We're near Santa Monica at the moment and apparently stealth camping is near impossible in this neck of the woods. 

Would anyone be able to help us out with a driveway to sleep in? Thanks!

edit: would gladly compensate with beers or money!

Sam Cieply · · Venice, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 10

I live nearby in Venice (old apartment building with no parking, sorry) and there are many people sleeping in their cars all over the neighborhood every night. You may have luck finding a large spot on Pacific Ave when the second lane opens up for parking at 8pm. You will have to move your car by 8am when it opens back up to traffic, but if you are discreet, I think it would be an ok spot.

The new law they passed recently is a bit confusing, but they did actually designate legal zones for car camping (500 feet from schools I believe). Initially, they published a map online, but it was kind of a mess with inaccurate info and I can't seem to find it again. Anyhow, good luck and be discreet!

cmqr9001 Black · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0
Sam Cieply wrote:

I live nearby in Venice (old apartment building with no parking, sorry) and there are many people sleeping in their cars all over the neighborhood every night. You may have luck finding a large spot on Pacific Ave when the second lane opens up for parking at 8pm. You will have to move your car by 8am when it opens back up to traffic, but if you are discreet, I think it would be an ok spot.

The new law they passed recently is a bit confusing, but they did actually designate legal zones for car camping (500 feet from schools I believe). Initially, they published a map online, but it was kind of a mess with inaccurate info and I can't seem to find it again. Anyhow, good luck and be discreet!

Rad! Thanks for the tip! 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply