Palisades Conditions?

Original Post
Samaki Kubwa · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

Anyone have beta on the North Fork of Big Pine Creek trail to the Palisades area this year? Specifically, 1) where does the snow begin, and 2) the conditions of the U/V Notch routes? We are scheduled to head up next week, but if the routes are not in condition we'll punt for some other fun objective. Any input is appreciated.

Asked this in another thread, with no specific response, so I'm throwing it out as its own topic.

C Brooks · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 461

What do you mean by " in condition" If you are looking for ice, you will want to wait until the fall. If you are looking for snow, then there will be lots.  Find this Facebook group -- Sierra Nevada Current Conditions - Trails, Passes and Peaks

There are photos of U and V notch from a couple of days ago on that FB group page. Lots of snow, in the pic I saw the shrund was filled in, looks like a good snow climb, not full of rock fall like last year. 

My guess is you will want snow shoes for the approach in the warm sun. 

Conditions report said full snow coverage after 2nd Lake

Samaki Kubwa · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

Tnx. Pretty much what I had guessed, but really good to know about the FB group. 

brian burke · · santa monica, ca · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 110

here's the current conditions of the northeast face of middle pal from the top of the middle pal glacier.  pretty dry save a couple lingering hanging snowfields.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply