Late August sport climbing

Original Post
Gabriel Rawcliffe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Hi so I'm from New Zealand and am in the US for a conference in late August. I am adding a holiday onto the end of my trip and want to spend as much time climbing as possible. What would be the best sport crag at this time of the year? Was considering RRG or NRG (will be in D.C. for the conference), but will it be too hot in August/September? I climb 5.11/5.12 depending on style. I also need to consider I will be solo so ease of finding a partner is important.

Thanks in advance

Matthew Massey · · Beckley, WV · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 5

NRG in September and August is prime climbing conditions. Just bring a light jacket and pants! 

aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 290
Matthew Massey wrote:

NRG in September and August is prime climbing conditions. Just bring a light jacket and pants! 

Are you sure you don't mean "September and October"? I lived in the DC area for three years and climbed at NRG a fair bit, and the only way I could climb at the New in August was to go deep water soloing at Summersville.

Matthew Massey · · Beckley, WV · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 5
aikibujin wrote:

Are you sure you don't mean "September and October"? I lived in the DC area for three years and climbed at NRG a fair bit, and the only way I could climb at the New in August was to go deep water soloing at Summersville.

D'oh. Yeah. Brain fart. My bad, hadn't had coffee yet when I made that post. :P

It is still definitely climbable in August if you can stand 70-75ish degree weather. 

Stephen Lander · · Columbus, OH · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10

RRG will be the easiest place to find a partner for sure. There is a huge community of dirtbags there so just talk to people at Miguel's or even just show up to some of the more popular walls and meet people at the crag. 

NRG has great climbing as well, it will be harder to find a partner but still proabably doable. Also, as already mentioned, there is deep water soloing if things get too hot (also eliminates the need for a partner) Also it's obviously a lot closer to DC

Both of them are going to be pretty hot that time of year, but either would be fine. You'll just need to make sure to pick areas that get more shade. And don't expect to be sending at your limit because you will be very sweaty.

It is still definitely climbable in August if you can stand 70-75ish degree weather. 

Really? More like 80-90 in my experience. 70 would be amazing for August.

Jon Frisby · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 100

RRG is pretty awful until at least labor day (September 1) most years. Probably at least September 20 before good conditions set in

Eric Engberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0

Typically anyplace in the eastern US is going to be too hot/humid until mid September.  But you could get lucky and hit a cool dry spell (or a hurricane).  Not sure what travel constraints you have.  Are you limited by what you can drive to from DC?  Can you fly to the western US (sort of on the way home)?  Drive to the northeast of the US? - northern New England should be a tad cooler and less humid.  Close to DC Seneca would be the best bet - but its not sport.

Kirk Squier · · Ketchum, Idaho · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 10

Maple Canyon, Utah

Gabriel Rawcliffe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Thanks for all your replies. My plan now is to head West, and do some climbing around Wyoming, and Boulder. Ten Sleep Canyon is the current plan, but am pretty flexible with anything drivable from Denver. TBH I think the crimp-fest at Ten Sleep will probably be more my style than the pump-fest of RRG. 

Ten Sleep is fantastic, you won't regret it. Go get on Cocaine Rodeo, it's maybe the best route I've ever been on. 

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 440
Gabriel Rawcliffe wrote:

Thanks for all your replies. My plan now is to head West, and do some climbing around Wyoming, and Boulder. Ten Sleep Canyon is the current plan, but am pretty flexible with anything drivable from Denver. TBH I think the crimp-fest at Ten Sleep will probably be more my style than the pump-fest of RRG. 

Yea, Wyoming/Utah is where you want to be for high altitude sport climbing in August. It is guaranteed best cool temps for sport.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply