Naked Edge & Raptor Closures

Original Post
Gold Plated Rocket Pony · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 93

I feel like I struggle with this each year as I don't want to climb on 'closed' routes but the info seems scattered to some degree (maybe I'm a bit slow) but can someone clarify if the Naked Edge is open/closed right now?

MP page says:

Beginning Feb. 1st each year, a seasonal wildlife closure will be in effect on Redgarden Wall in Eldorado Canyon State Park to protect nesting and roosting sites of the canyonÂ’s falcons. The closure is in effect through July 31st unless lifted early due to early fledging or inactivity.

The closure includes the following climbing routes: The Naked Edge (last 3 pitches only), The Diving Board, Centaur, Redguard (last 3 pitches only), Red Ant, Semi-Wild, Anthill Direct (last 3 pitches only), and The Sidetrack.

Cool but the Eldo SP site only mentions Shirttail:

Seasonal Closures (3/22/17, effective immediately): Shirttail Peak is closed to all activities, including rock climbing, due to Golden Eagles nesting in the area. Trespassing constitutes a federal offense and violators will be cited. Eagles are sensitive to disturbance caused by human presence and may abandon their nest and young as a result.

BCC Site also doesn't have Nake Edge listed either:

Climbing areas in Eldorado Canyon State Park that are closed seasonally February 1 until July 15 (full details here):

• Shirttail Peak
  • Millennium Crag – reopened for 2017
  • Rattlesnake Gulch Trail upper loop – reopened for 2017

Thanks

Eliot Augusto · · Boulder, CO · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 60

Naked edge has been open all season. Just shirttail peak had a closure this year.

Mike McHugh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 450

Shirt Tail closed. Edge open.

The nest on the diving board has been vacant for a number of years. Maybe it's time to change the language on that MP page, but know that if the falcons decide to move back in to their diving board nest, that closure will go back into place.

Eldo's Eagles choose from several nesting sites each year. Some years we close upper rattlesnake when they choose the south side of the canyon. This year they picked a site on the north side so we closed Shirttail. Behind the scenes, Eldorado staff has worked really hard to balance the interests of climbers with the needs of the raptors. And Eldo's climbers are very respectful of the birds' needs.

Mike

Gold Plated Rocket Pony · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 93

Thanks all

Mike McHugh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 450

I got some updated info. According to the monitors, there is at least one nestling thriving in the Shirt Tail Peak closure area. So that's very cool. I'll post up as soon as it opens, and thanks everybody for your patience.

JFM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,828

Can we get some cute birdlet pics on this thread or what?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply