Dangling & durable iPhone case?

Original Post
wonderwoman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 84

Does such a thing exist?  I swear that I have seen climbers with these.  Where can I score one?

BrianDB Bartels · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 5

well there's this one https://www.kenu.com/products/highline

but I usually just wear a pair of climbing pants that have a nice thigh pocket and keep it in there all day when I do multipitch

Trevor. · · Boise, ID · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 834

I just use a cheapo eBay case with a length of accessory cord glued onto the back with aquaseal. 

Marty C · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 70

Bought this on Amazon (~$20)

Pure Gear - PX 360 (for iPhone 5) - models available for other type/size phones

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 525

A number of options are mentioned at http://atmac.org/lanyard-strap-iphone-ipod-touch

Tyler Froelich · · Provo, Utah · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

Here's a pretty cheap solution:

My friend made me this.  He cut a slot into the back to thread some sturdy ribbon and sewed the ribbon into a loop. I climb with my phone in my pocket and when I want to take it out I clip a quickdraw on my harness to this ribbon. It feels very secure. It's been a nice to be able to confidently use my phone when I'm high up.

We're now toying around with some different design solutions that would allow you to easily attach any phone (with or without a case) securely to a harness via a length of cord-- so that the phone can dangle.

Wondering how appealing it would be to be able to use any phone/case and then, before you climb, attach a "dangling"  device...

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Tyler Froelich wrote:

We're now toying around with some different design solutions that would allow you to easily attach any phone (with or without a case) securely to a harness via a length of cord-- so that the phone can dangle.

Wondering how appealing it would be to be able to use any phone/case and then, before you climb, attach a "dangling"  device...

Dangling? No.

Tyler Froelich · · Provo, Utah · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

Sorry, maybe that's not the best word to describe it. By "dangling" (the word used in the title) I mean that the phone would be attached to a leash so that if you dropped the phone while using it, the leash would catch it.  The phone would be stored in a pocket or something while climbing, and the leash would be long enough to pull it out to take a picture or check route info and put it back.

The design would let you temporarily attach this leash to any "phone-shaped" object. This, as opposed to modifying a case yourself or selecting from the relatively few options out there (for a few select phone models) that have a leash feature or a clip-in point built in.

djh860 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 110
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply