New Crack Formation

Original Post
Matt Wenger · · Bozeman · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 2,675

I have been scouring the internet for an answer, and can't seem to find what I am looking for, so I pose this to the community:

Are there any cases of a new, major crack or crack system forming somewhere that has been an established climbing area for some time? As in, say a new fracture in a known area of Indian Creek that was not there say 10 years ago? 

Obviously new cracks form, but on geologic time scales, it will be very infrequently to our mere human lifespans. Are there any examples though?

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35
Matt Wenger wrote:

I have been scouring the internet for an answer, and can't seem to find what I am looking for, so I pose this to the community:

Are there any cases of a new, major crack or crack system forming somewhere that has been an established climbing area for some time? As in, say a new fracture in a known area of Indian Creek that was not there say 10 years ago? 

Obviously new cracks form, but on geologic time scales, it will be very infrequently to our mere human lifespans. Are there any examples though?

The route "Life" on Critics Choice fell down. Left behind was a brand new crack. I don't think it was freshly formed so much as freshly exposed.

Of course we have the example of Sphinx Crack that was dynamited. I believe there must have been a seam before the blasting. If you've even tried it (you can't anymore, off limits), you'd notice that it's really sharp. In a few thousand or million years, it'll probably be a bit more comfy.

Somewhere, east, maybe in a quarry, there is a route called Manufractured that was cut by a rock saw. I hear it's awesome.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply