Mountain Project Logo

Easy non-slab areas?

Original Post
Goose · · Denver · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

Hey all,

Sort of new to the area and looking to get a bit of advice. I'm really not a big fan of slab climbing, but I'm not a good enough climber to get on a lot of overhanging stuff here in Colorado. Can anyone recommend some areas around Denver (3 hour drive max) with vertical or overhung sport routes around 5.8 to 5.10ish? 

Thanks so much in advance!

aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 294
Goose wrote:

areas around Denver (3 hour drive max) with vertical or overhung sport routes around 5.8 to 5.10ish? 

Shelf Road, especially the Menses Prow and Cactus Cliff areas. But it's going to be hot in the summer!

Dan Cooksey · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

I really enjoyed climbing at the pup tent in elk creek.  It's off I70 (Newcastle) just passed Glenn wood springs (9 miles).  Lots of really safely bolted, not to long, moderate routes.  It's in the western sloper guidebook. 

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 105

North Table (someone had to say it)

Staunton State Park

...or just develop a taste for slab :)

physnchips · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

North Table is already getting too hot. Was there a couple weekends ago with it at 60 and wouldn't want it any warmer. But the routes do tend to be vertical.

Boulder Canyon has some good moderates that are vertical. Clear Creek has some as well, but yeah the 5.8-5.10 tend to be on the slightly slabby side.

Travis Provin · · Boulder CO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 105

Boulder canyon has all kinds of moderate stuff that isn't slabby, Animal world, Sport park, Cascade crag, and Avalon come to mind. Eldo has tons it's all trad though. It's been awhile since I've climbed there but I don't remember poudre canyon in Fort Collins being very slabby, lots of blocky stuff especially at The Palace and the Crystal Wall.

Dr. VARMENT · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined May 2010 · Points: 95

Der Zerkel in the flatirons is what you're looking for

Jim Turner · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 290

Castlewood Canyon.  Grocery Store Wall, Falls Wall, or Neanderthal Wall.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply