Camping near Spanky's Area?

Original Post
Bryce Adamson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 178

I'm planning a backpacking trip to the high peaks in July, and we're planning on spending a half day at Spanky's Area on the way up. I was wondering if there is any possibility for "primitive camping" near the cliff or approach, or should we just look to stay in a campground? I'm assuming the Chapel Pond "camp here" spots will be taken.

Kevin Heckeler · · Upstate New York · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,411

PM'd some beta I was not willing to share online.  More climbers and hikers might want to consider doing the same if you ever want to actually use the free, primitive camping in that area.  On good weather weekends it's starting to get overrun like everything else.

Nolan Huther · · Clarkson University · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 582

Probably but you can usually find better spots to camp near Chapel Pond, and they are rarely "full". Even on memorial day weekend there was plenty of room at the Slab. Check out the camping options for Chapel Pond Pass in the guidebook if you haven't already. The Boquet Camps and the "Climbers Camp" at the Chapel Pond Outlet are the most popular from what I've seen. And they all have less hiking to get to than the Spankys Area (I'm assuming you'll be at Sunshine City).

Quick add: Also, the area around Sunshine City is terribly eroded and doesn't have the most convenient water source. I do know people have camped there before, but I would prefer to stick to impacted sites, personally. Follows LNT better.

Bryce Adamson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 178

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Kevin Heckeler · · Upstate New York · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,411
Nolan Huther wrote:

Quick add: Also, the area around Sunshine City is terribly eroded and doesn't have the most convenient water source. I do know people have camped there before, but I would prefer to stick to impacted sites, personally. Follows LNT better.

Agree, the terrain is very hilly at Sunshine City.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply