Mountain Project Logo

Miura vs miura xx

Original Post
Brent Lonius · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

I'm new to highly asymmetric, highly downturned shoes. The katana lace is my most aggressive shoe, and I am now wanting more specialized, and cambered. This brings me to the miura xx. I was able to try on a Miura, so i have a reference point of my size in that last. To those that have worn both: How did you size the xx compared to miura? how does the more dramatic downturn change the fit for you.

This is my first post. Is there a search function in this place?

Edit: added clarifying words

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 205

miura XX and miura are the same shoe they just have a band of rubber under the midsole to keep them downturned, they will fit and feel exactly the same as when you tried them on.

Josh Janes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2001 · Points: 8,552

Anyone who actually wears both shoes care to comment on sizing? Order the exact same size in XX or half-size larger?

Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 290
Josh Janes wrote:

Anyone who actually wears both shoes care to comment on sizing? Order the exact same size in XX or half-size larger?

Are you asking about the two Miuras or Miura and Katana?

I just got a pair of the Katana velcro (green and blue ones) yesterday. They are a half size smaller than the Miura lace I got a couple months earlier, both snug but not scrunchy. Mens size 36.5 on the Katana, and mens 37 Miuras.

The women's Katana velcro I tried was a 37. I'm guessing men's run wider, which I need.

Best, Helen

Miura Lace and Miura XX. Seeking comments from people have used both extensively (not just tried them on).

Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 290
Josh Janes wrote:

Miura Lace and Miura XX.

:-)

That should get better info for ya! Helen

Sal Durrani · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

This might be a bit late, but I wear both.  I have narrow feet, size 42 in Miura Lace fits me like a perfect comfortable glove (and laced up tight).  I tried sizing up the Miura XX to 42.5 and they were too big, so went down to 42.  The break in at 42 was pretty tough, but once they broke in they were amazing, but they definitely scrunched my toes more than the regular lace at the same size.  I suspect the addition of p3 pulls it in length wise so it's more like halfway to Miura VS.  They are toeing-in machines and I still love them and am getting them resoled.  I used them for hard bouldering and hard sport. 

Mike Byrnes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

I wear both shoes and size climbing shoes for a living and they fit fairly similarly in the same size. The xx actually has slightly more downturn, in between the lace and the vs and a completely redesigned heel cup that is much lower volume. My go to shoe for long pitches of steep edging and since I've resoled them in xsgrip I've been enjoying them in the boulder fields too. 9/10 fantastic shoe if you already like the lace up. Just expect it to be a bit less comfortable throughout its life 

David Liu · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

Owning all 3, I think the biggest thing that sticks out to me is the P3 system that was taken from the Miura VS–if you are a heavier climber it can save you from some fatigue over the standard lace Miura!

Well, I bought a pair of the XX, 1/2 size larger (41.5) than all my other Sportiva shoes. I'm happy with the size decision but am unsure about the fit thus far (and won't wear them climbing until I can make up my mind). But specifically, what I've noticed is a lot of extra room around the sides of the ankle - as if there's too much material there. This is interesting as it's not an issue for me at all with the women's lace-up or the men's VS, but I haven't worn a pair of men's lace-ups in a long time so perhaps the XX are the same as those in this regard. I haven't decided if this would affect climbing performance for me or if it just a quirk of the shoe and they fit my feet.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190

Hmm...so do you have like big pockets there?  I had the same problem with the original Miura Lace and, to a lesser extent, the VS.  It seems to be a weird quirk of the design, although I also have really skinny ankles.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply