Truck camping in bear country

Original Post
cmqr9001 Black · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

Hey guys! I'm moving to Kings Canyon to work at a summer camp this summer and I'll be living out of my truck with a camper shell setup on the weekends out climbing. I was looking for advice on best practices for food storage and such when truck camping with no bear boxes around. I have a bear canister I was planning on using, but I'm concerned about smells from my cooking stove and cookwear, etc. Anyone have any tips/tricks/advice? Thanks! 

patdeli · · merced, CA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 0

Keep all your cookware clean, as clean as possible (your vehicle should be clean as well.) As soon as I'm done cooking I wipe my stove down to avoid any lingering smells.   They sell smell proof bags but I haven't found them necessary, keeping my food out of sight and sealed has worked. I also usually cover all my stuff with a blanket. And if its a real concern you could always hang you food.

GilaShot · · Western Antarctic, New Engl... · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 0

It will take a super acclimated bear to mess with you inside your truck.  You should be fine.  Even if a bear got too curious, anything short of a polar bear would be chased off by enough noise.

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 200

Um, be advised if you are gone from the truck and it is not in an area with people around....a bear will open it up like a can of tuna fish to get food.

With you inside, absolutely nothing to be afraid of. But if food smells are inside a bear will tear apart any normal vehicle no problem. I am not bullshitting you.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply