Teton reccomendations

Original Post
Forrest Shafer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 20

Going to be in the Tetons for the first week in June. I was hoping to do some alpine, especially Exum Ridge, but it looks like there is still a LOT of snow up there. Any suggestions for easier (5.7-5.9) alpine climbs that might be dry and good this time of year? Or even any single pitch style crags that would be good? Sport or trad is fine. Thanks of the help! 

Allen Sanderson · · Oootah · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,115

Many of the south facing climbs like the Exum can be snow free. That is fine for the up. The descent is typically the issue. The OS can be veraglass. The descent from the Upper Saddle can lead one into Idaho. The Guide's Wall is a nice intro to the Tetons as well as Baxter's Pinnacle. Up higher Irene's Arete is another favorite. With most of these I would suggest knowing some self arrest skills.

Jordan Lister · · Moab, UT · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 0

I would imagine that Guide's Wall is free of snow by now. Also, climbs in Death Canyon typically melt out faster than other parts of the park. Check out Dihedral of Horrors.

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 40

According to http://tetonclimbing.blogspot.com/, trails above 9000' areall buried.  Here's a nice current shot of Garnet Canyon from that site:

Compared to late summer conditions:

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 15

WOW!  thats a LOT of Snow!  baxters is Typically closed for birds untill aug 1st the last several years???

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 12,639

Not a great pic, but, from the west side of the Tetons.  Immense amount of snow.  Taken on 29 May (Monday).

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 40

Another thread  starting at http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/2981012/Grand-Teton-condition.  A photo of the range taken June 1:

Forrest Shafer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 20

Thanks for the recommendations, ill check those out! I can't believe how much snow is still up there, maybe ill just go skiing... 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply