Uncommon pulley issue

Original Post
Hexter Fiedstone · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

So 2days ago I started having a problem with my left ring finger where Everytime I close my hand to make a fist I feel a snapping near the a1 and a2 pulley area. I can see my finger visibly shutter as well but there is no pain outside of general soreness on all my fingers. This started happening on an off day and I have only rested my hand for the 2 days since. Any ideas what it could be? Could I have torn the sheath perhaps? I have seen similar things with wrists and ankles called ecu subluxation and peroneal tendon subluxation where the sheath breaks allowing the tendon to subluxation, but I haven't seen this with hands or climbing. I would assume it's an a2 pulley issue but the symptoms aren't really similar. I will definitely see an osteopath, but if anyone has any experience with this, please let me know.

Gettin' Lucky In Kentucky · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 15

sounds like a trigger finger which is a knot of scar tissue on the tendon itself that causes a catch or popping sensation when the ball of tissue enters the pulley sheath.  This is generally at the entrance of A1.  This should be palpable.  Treatment is typically a steroid injection by an ortho or experienced general practitioner.

Flexor tendons shouldn't subluxate like the ECU. etc as they are held in place by the carpel tunnel and the finger pulleys themselves which are very strong.

I hope that helps, let me know how it goes.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply